Re: State Department Developing Cyber Toolkit

From: Hairy One Kenobi (abuse_at_[127.0.0.1)
Date: 11/16/05

Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 23:43:40 GMT

"Moe Trin" <ibuprofin@painkiller.example.tld> wrote in message
news:slrndnkfgg.k4d.ibuprofin@compton.phx.az.us...
> In the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
> <mOaef.16683$q%.1883@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>, fluidly unsure wrote:
>
> >Hairy One Kenobi wrote:
>
> >> C was due to have died out in the onslaught of 4GLs.. about 1990, if
> >> memory serves.
> >>
> >> "A stone bridge still takes load, even after the invention of CFRP" ;o)
>
> C exists, despite the invention of thousands of prospective replacements
> exactly because it still works quite well TYVM

Exactly

> >> * Somewhere between Babbage and C21. It's amazing what you can do with
> >> pointers; and depressing what you can do if you don't understand the
> >> consequences ;o)
>
> It was developed for use by people with clue - a commodity in shockingly
> short supply over the past 30 years.

Not so exactly... ;o)

>> Never saw B (although BPL allegedly was based upon it), but A must have
> >> kinda.. sucked :o)
>
> I think you really mean BCPL, as 'BPL' is a late invention based on Basic.
> According to Dennis Ritchie, B was created as a 'cut down' version of BCPL
> because they only had 4K of memory on their PDP-7. BCPL (Basic Combined
> Programming Language) dates from 1967.

You caught my typo (slaps head!*), but it stood for "British Computer
Programming Language". 'Twas more B than C (apparently), and published by
whoever did ProText under CP/M.

Remember, this was in the days before (e.g.) YACC! No since ADA has anyone
had to do so much, so unwillingly, for so little effect ;o)

H1K

*Just re-read - /my/ head! ;o)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: State Department Developing Cyber Toolkit
    ... In the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, ... >> memory serves. ... despite the invention of thousands of prospective replacements ... I think you really mean BCPL, as 'BPL' is a late invention based on Basic. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Facebook down rant (VMS is mentioned:-)
    ... <Rant mode on> ... I mean does TBL hold a degree in particle physics? ... His main invention was the HTTP protocol, ...
    (comp.os.vms)