Re: Ban from website

From: Moe Trin (ibuprofin_at_painkiller.example.tld)
Date: 11/15/05

Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 13:56:39 -0600

In the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
<cTjef.5782$Gz1.2797@newsfe3-win.ntli.net>, Ms m wrote:

>Can anyone throw light on how i can get banned from a games website.
>Someone said my ip can be banned but even if i take my pc somewhere else
>and use it, it still is not allowed to participate.

The IP should be obvious - as for using it elsewhere, perhaps the CONCEPT
of cookies might be familiar. They don't have to be "normal" cookies, but
can be something as stupid as a file hidden away somewhere not very obvious
(checks headers - ah, windoze) or a registry key.

>I even reset my pc to factory conditions and still no joy. I am sure the
>answer lies in the machine itself but i was under the impression once it
>was restored like it came out the factory no information was held on it,
>advice would be appreciated

wipe, reformat and reinstall (reformatting isn't enough). Or
simply replace the hard drive, and install windoze from scratch.

        Old guy