Re: findnot.com clone?

From: nemo_outis (abc_at_xyz.com)
Date: 11/15/05

Date: 15 Nov 2005 14:34:38 GMT

"finwicke" <finwicke@earthlink.net> wrote in news:1132031400.766611.293820
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> how difficult and expensive would it be, to try and setup your own
> private network of computers similar in pattern to findnot.com?
> thank you!

Depends how fancy you want to get. If we're talking servers all over the
world and heavy traffic then it's a serious undertaking. But, at the other
pole, I regularly use my home computer as a tunnelled proxy to surf the
world from work - trivial to set up.

Regards,

PS One option (it will likely violate the ToS for a home user but, if
traffic is low, you will likely escape detection) is to run your own Tor
node. This has the (minor) advantage of generating some cover traffic. Or
even get a bunch of friends (three is the minimum but ten would be better)
to provide a *private* Tor network - might be an amusing experiment

Relevant Pages

  • Re: More on the new fast pass system
    ... communicates with the private network at the park(with all due ... as micro computers become the powerhouses and main ... attraction control with networked oversight makes more sense to me. ... that of a Ferrari and dump truck. ...
    (rec.arts.disney.parks)
  • Re: Wireless networking XP Pro to XP Home
    ... The Home computer is connected to the Router directly, whereas the Pro computer is connected Wirelessly. ... and also gaming between the computers works fine aswell. ... After trying to setup a proper network through the "Setup a Home or Small Office Network" Wizard I have come across some problems. ... Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall; or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying to create shares where the operating system does not permit it. ...
  • Re: Another Remote Desktop problem
    ... I have looked at as many remote desktop problems as I can and still ... On my Home Computer, I am running XP ... I have opened ports on both computers, ... If you have a wireless router - then you also have to setup your wireless ...
  • Re: More on the new fast pass system
    ... communicates with the private network at the park(with all due ... as micro computers become the powerhouses and main ... control attraction effects, or are they sticking to a central computer ... attraction control with networked oversight makes more sense to me. ...
    (rec.arts.disney.parks)
  • Re: Problem Networking an XP Home with two XP Pro Computers.
    ... When I use Windows Explorer on the Home computer to bring up My ... I can ping the Pro machines from the Home machine by IP address but not by ... The two Pro computers can open the workgroup, see each other and the Home ...