Firefox Cache Settings

From: Hairy One Kenobi (abuse_at_[127.0.0.1)
Date: 10/24/05

    Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 14:59:11 GMT

    (Yes, there *are* security/integrity implications - that's how I found out
    about this...)

    A smidgen of history to start with: computer room being rearranged, 'bout
    time I tidied the backup servers, one of 'em straining to defrag, noticed
    something odd.

    Next, a quick reminder/intro to Windows profiles, post NT4. There's a
    subdirectory for each locally defined user, default install locates TEMP
    etc. in there, to keep user settings and data separated. (Note that I'm
    deliberately ignoring Home-style stuff, here). May be redirected, and
    usually is, in a business environment.

    In general, there are not one, but two, areas of the profile that relate to
    user settings (old, old story of two teams not communicating would be my
    guess).

    Because it's a "special case" IE has its own admin/user-selectable cache
    directory that may - or may not - lie outside of these directories. Ditto
    TEMP (depends upon how complex you want you backup scripts to be, and the
    levels of security you require for transient data files).

    Well, it seems that Firefox lumps its cache in the Application Settings
    area. And there isn't an obvious way to change it through the GUI.

    So.. excluding tweaking backups for this one application (everything else in
    that branch is actually useful), how does one set the cache directory?
    Googling gets me how to change the maximum cache size (shock, horror - oh so
    difficult ;o), but not how to reset the directory itself. And, as part of
    the tidy-up, I dumped the source code...

    >From what I can see, at the moment, sysadmins who are actually deploying
    this in The Real World (tm) are hoovering-up anything up to 50MB of random
    crap into their backup cycles. Per user. Not good if you're the guy paying
    for all that additional storage, or you're getting to the stage that you
    could really do without the extra hour that's it's potentially adding to
    your backup (e.g. 1500 user site)

    The help, naturally, doesn't.

    --
    Hairy One Kenobi
    in the first place. So there!

    • Re: Single root filesystem evilness decreasing in 2010? (on workstations) [LONG]
      ... On Linux I use xfs a lot and backup with xfsdump in many cases. ... GPFS (a commercial filesystem available for Linux) allows for the addition of i-nodes dynamically. ... Free is telling you the total memory in disk cache. ... Any given page in the cache may be 'dirty' or 'clean'. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Contact categories gone after database rebuild
      ... Unfortunately, trying to apply these principles in Entourage, ... cache of Entourage ONLY such that if the cache becomes corrupted, ... I want a one stop access to related email messages, ... Short of frequent backup of the entire Identity folder, ...
      (microsoft.public.mac.office.entourage)
    • Clear cache will use same components - backups must restore!
      ... Clear cache will probably call the same Windows components ... reformat HD1, I will restore it *from the DVD*, which BTW and at ... Subject: Re: Too long filenames wrongly handled by Windows ... copying a backup to another disk is asking for problems. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • [9fans] vtcache exhaustion
      ... I've been running a vac-based backup on a few unix systems for a while now. ... Adding -v to the vac invocation, it seems to be failing in the same place each ... If a new cache block must be allocated... ...
      (comp.os.plan9)
    • Re: Backup time
      ... The same method is used to backup logical logs between ... Database is not large and it ... IIUG Board of Directors ... Please keep in mind that my own opinions are my own opinions ...
      (comp.databases.informix)