Re: Is there way to stop a keyboard logger intercepting my keystrokes?

From: nemo_outis (abc_at_xyz.com)
Date: 10/24/05

Date: 24 Oct 2005 13:42:56 GMT

kirkzeusNOSPAM@hotmail.com wrote in news:cqsol11qeh4j1q6a9lnr3j2celjk2ovjq5
@4ax.com:

> Hi all
>
> I have some data and programmes on a USB flash memory device and this
> is encrypted on the device. Is there anyway of preventing a keyboard
> logger from seeing the password that I am typing to open up the
> encrypted data on the USB device. I use this device on various
> computers not under my control.
>
> Many thanks

It's very much like the affordablity of yachts: if you have to ask...

If you are worried about what a keylogger might do, then you obviously do
not have continuous control and custody of your computer. Without physical
security you are lost - (almost) nothing can compensate against a
sufficiently skilled adversary. Even limited or inept adversaries can do
much to compromise your security if they have physical access to the
machine and environs.

Hardware keyloggers must be detected physically by inspection. That means,
inter alia, opening your keyboard and looking. Do you know what to look
for? Or video or audio surveillance could have been put in place. Do you
know how to check?

Software keyloggers are much easier, but not necessarily trivial. The
surest protection against them is full OTFE HD encryption. The alternative
of looking for them after the fact is a much inferior method.

Regards,

PS There are a number of makeshifts that can be used such as applying
tamper-indicating seals to the keyboard and computer case. Sadly, these
asre insufficient to stop even a moderately-skilled opponent (see, for
instance, the Los Alamos studies re tamper indication devices).

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Is there way to stop a keyboard logger intercepting my keystrokes?
    ... > Software keyloggers are much easier, ... > surest protection against them is full OTFE HD encryption. ... Using password safe in an unencrypted folder you can open password safe ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Defeating keyloggers with encrypted one time passwords (a patent spoiler?)
    ... - Keyboard manufacturers, ... - Even if windows would detect the use of win API keyboard hooks, ... The encryption method for the papers passwords can be decided by ... - remove two first character of each password ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: How to prevent stealing password
    ... > first - this initial typing is what the keyloggers capture. ... Encryption ... >> Hi.I have free mail accounts in Hotmail and in Yahoo. ... >> Most public PCs are infected with spyware and viruses and I wonder if I ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: [opensuse] Encryption password fail on install > internationalisation <
    ... keys as on the UK one, which now will be different chars - no matter ... see at the moment is that some characters on the US keyboard appear on ... this appears not to be possible during opensuse install. ... It's asking for the encryption ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Tech help
    ... visiting a bank on the net is the safest type of site to use ... The encryption is automatically set up between your browser and the ... There IS a danger to banking online that is rarely discussed, ... Keyloggers can be easily installed without your knowledge as any virus ...
    (alt.vacation.las-vegas)