Re: Wireless security

From: ROBERT S AMP BA Drake (robtsdrake_at_verizon.net)
Date: 10/23/05

Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 14:34:17 GMT

I would add, re: WEP

1. Hide your wireless network
2. Change its name from the provider default
3. Limit the IPs of the computers using the router to just what you need.
The default is usually about 25

Bob Drake

"Unruh" <unruh-spam@physics.ubc.ca> wrote in message
> John Hyde <EJhyd@netscape.net> writes:
>
>>> WEP128 is broken, it's not even worth thinking about anymore.
>>>

>>> Juergen Nieveler
>
>>Thanks for the reply. I'll be trying to find a firmware upgrade for the
>>laptop since it is built in. If not, I'll take the advice of finding an
>>alternate card.
>
>>I did find this interesting quote about WEP.
>
>>"WEP is better than nothing
>
>>If you can't use WPA, perhaps because you can't afford new base stations
>>and Panther upgrades for all your laptops, at least enable WEP, feeble
>>though it may. There is an old joke about two guys hiking in the woods
>>who spot a mean looking grizzly bear heading their way. One of the
>>hikers takes off his back pack, pulls out running shoes, and starts
>>putting them on. The other says "You idiot, you can't outrun a hungry
>>bear in the woods." The first replies "I don't have to outrun the bear,
>>I only have to outrun you." Even minimal security may be effective
>>against snoops who have plenty of unprotected targets to choose from.
>>Use the higher, 128-bit security setting, if possible, and change
>>passwords frequently."
>
>>From: http://world.std.com/~reinhold/airport.html
>
> That depends on whether or not someone wants to target you. do you have
> competitors who you would rather not have on your network? They do not
> care
> that the lumber yard down the street is easier to break into, they want
> you.
>
> Ie, if the bear wants you, for your red hat, being able to run faster than
> your friend is irrelevant.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Wireless security
    ... I would add, re: WEP ... Hide your wireless network ... >>who spot a mean looking grizzly bear heading their way. ... >>against snoops who have plenty of unprotected targets to choose from. ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Connected with limited access.
    ... Toshiba Laptop Satellite A135 ... Atheros ARS5--7EG Wireless Network Adapter ... Your problem is WEP encryption. ... SSID from Actiontec to something like: ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • RE: Dumb question abt. Wireless WEP security
    ... because theoretically WEP encyrption can be broken. ... amount of traffic that is generated by the wireless network. ... turning off your network to protect your WEP keys ... We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention, ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: Dumb question abt. Wireless WEP security
    ... There are new ways to help you make your wireless connection even more ... work with Cisco equipment. ... thing as TKIP except the server determines the hashed WEP key. ... the amount of traffic that is generated by the wireless network. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: Dumb question abt. Wireless WEP security
    ... Wireless WEP security ... Does it suffice to sniff the wireless network for one hour, ... We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention, ... and many other technical hands on courses. ...
    (Security-Basics)