Re: Wireless security

From: John Hyde (EJhyd_at_netscape.net)
Date: 10/11/05

Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 09:46:41 -0700

on 10/10/2005 9:49 PM Unruh said the following:
> John Hyde <EJhyd@netscape.net> writes:
>

>>>WEP128 is broken, it's not even worth thinking about anymore.
>>>

>>>Juergen Nieveler
>

>>Thanks for the reply. I'll be trying to find a firmware upgrade for the
>>laptop since it is built in. If not, I'll take the advice of finding an
>>alternate card.
>

>>I did find this interesting quote about WEP.
>

>>"WEP is better than nothing
>

>>If you can't use WPA, perhaps because you can't afford new base stations
>>and Panther upgrades for all your laptops, at least enable WEP, feeble
>>though it may. There is an old joke about two guys hiking in the woods
>>who spot a mean looking grizzly bear heading their way. One of the
>>hikers takes off his back pack, pulls out running shoes, and starts
>>putting them on. The other says "You idiot, you can't outrun a hungry
>>bear in the woods." The first replies "I don't have to outrun the bear,
>>I only have to outrun you." Even minimal security may be effective
>>against snoops who have plenty of unprotected targets to choose from.
>>Use the higher, 128-bit security setting, if possible, and change
>>passwords frequently."
>

>>From: http://world.std.com/~reinhold/airport.html
>

> That depends on whether or not someone wants to target you. do you have
> competitors who you would rather not have on your network? They do not care
> that the lumber yard down the street is easier to break into, they want
> you.
>
> Ie, if the bear wants you, for your red hat, being able to run faster than
> your friend is irrelevant.

Absolutely, and if you saw my other post, my home network is very likely
to be successful just as a "sprinter", my office network needs to be
able to shoot bears. ;-)

JH

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Wireless security
    ... I'll be trying to find a firmware upgrade for the ... >>laptop since it is built in. ... >>who spot a mean looking grizzly bear heading their way. ... Absolutely, and if you saw my other post, my home network is very likely ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Network Connections with Domain Login and Non-Domain login PCs
    ... This is hard to explain but please bear with me as this problem has ... gotten to be quite an annoyance. ... When I bring my laptop home and connect it to the network, ...
  • Network Connections with Domain Login and Non-Domain login PCs
    ... This is hard to explain but please bear with me as this problem has ... gotten to be quite an annoyance. ... When I bring my laptop home and connect it to the network, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
  • Network Connections with Domain Login and Non-Domain login PCs
    ... This is hard to explain but please bear with me as this problem has ... gotten to be quite an annoyance. ... When I bring my laptop home and connect it to the network, ...
  • Re: One Users My Documents no longer redirected.
    ... even connect to the network at all because it's a PITA. ... So I would think that a wireless 54 mbps connection would be ... one laptop, and try it for a day or two to see what happens. ... active directory OU as the other users whose redirection works? ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)