Re: Wireless security

From: Juergen Nieveler (juergen.nieveler.nospam_at_arcor.de)
Date: 10/11/05

Date: 11 Oct 2005 09:54:22 GMT

John Hyde <EJhyd@netscape.net> wrote:

> I did find this interesting quote about WEP.
>
> "WEP is better than nothing
>
> If you can't use WPA, perhaps because you can't afford new base
> stations and Panther upgrades for all your laptops, at least enable
> WEP, feeble though it may.

I don't agree with that, actually. Turning on WEP will make you think
"Oh, I got at least SOME security", so you'll never know when your
security isn't there anymore.

Either go for real security, or no security - if you have no encryption
enabled, you'll at least always remember that there's a good reason to
be carefull.

Juergen Nieveler

--
42? 7 and a half million years and all you can come up with is 42?!

Relevant Pages

  • RE: V/Scan for Wireless LANs
    ... I broke WEP in 7 hours by forcing new IVs. ... - automatically set positive security policies for real-time protection, ... For more information on KaVaDo and to download a FREE white paper on Web ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • RE: 802.11i research papers
    ... IT Infrastructure - Network Design ... Subject: 802.11i research papers ... with WPA which is the replacement to WEP (TKIP is ... WEP and other security features that the protocol has implemented. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: Wireless Security for Home Users
    ... User 128-bit WEP if your equipment supports it. ... the casual wardrivers to pass you by; there's always an unencrypted network ... Use any vendor-specific security improvements available to you. ... I believe if you use a 3Com WAP and 3Com client cards, ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: Wireless LAN Security for Warehouse
    ... WEP implementations do not create weak IV's that are typically used to crack ... Adding additional layers like IPSEC or VPN can add to the security as well, ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ... Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: wireless security question.
    ... User Authentication via existing databases eg LDAP, RADIUS, Win NT ... Subject: wireless security question. ... eg. reports that a large % do not have WEP enabled. ...
    (Security-Basics)