Re: A question that has been asked a 100 times before

From: Imhotep (Imhotep_at_nospam.net)
Date: 09/28/05

Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 19:48:18 -0400

Amamba wrote:

> I'll still ask it, though, as I found lots of conflicting answers.
>
> I used to be running a Win XP behind Sygate f/w on cable modem.
>
> Open port scans were showing all ports as stealthed.
>
> I have recently bought a US Robotics 5461 router. I did not select the
> option to have it configured through Web connection.
>
> Now, port 80 shows as open. (I am using Sygate's SOS site).
>
> It is my understanding that port 80 is open on the router and not on my
> PC, and that all outside requests sent to this port would "die" in the
> router; is this assumption correct, or is this open port an issue ?

Check that your router does not allow configuration from the Internet...

> Another question: I set up Linux (Ubiuntu) as a second boot option. I
> know very little about it and don't yet know how to set up a firewall.
> Does the router itself provide enough protection ? Is there a firewall
> for Linux that is user friendly enough (i.e. has a GUI interface and
> doesn't require advance programming skills to setup) ?
>
> Thanks !

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Routers Firewall
    ... I ask him do you have a firewall and he says yes. ... I still have an IDS/firewall on all my machines behind the router. ... > to connect to a port your public IP address the router would reject the ... > An open port on the router could be connected to a service running on the ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: OWA question
    ... If you do indeed have a small budget you may want to have your firewall ... open port 443 only to an Exchange FE if your ... Watchguard allows this on your Optional (DMZ). ... but you could do the same thing with a linux server ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • Re: Routers Firewall
    ... AFAIK most firewall fitted routers do not allow incoming connections by ... to connect to a port your public IP address the router would reject the ... router you may be vulnerable. ... If the open port is "forwarded" to an open port on a computer on your local ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: 1 NIC or 2 NICs?
    ... Javier [SBS MVP] ... >> An open port is not an open port in all cases. ... >> router remotely. ... I have this client that has a VPN only for TS... ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: 1 NIC or 2 NICs?
    ... An open port is not an open port in all cases. ... router remotely. ... I have this client that has a VPN only for TS... ... >> Johnny - Two NICs are always preferred. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)