Enough is enough...

From: Imhotep (Imhotep_at_nospam.net)
Date: 09/25/05

    Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 18:10:45 -0400

    Today, I read a story about a company that lost customer information. They
    were sued, as they should have been for violating the California Disclosure
    Law. The feeble minded incompetent judge, San Francisco Superior Court
    Judge Richard Kramer, denied the law suit because he did not see an
    emergency or threat of irreparable injury.

    Hum...so, I guess you can only sue in his courtroom when their is a death?

    Here is the problem I have. If a company holds my data, then they *should*
    be held accountable if they can not secure *their* *own* *machines*.
    Penalizing the credit card holder is like saying "your a fool for using a
    credit card; your a fool for trusting corporations". Maybe. How can
    companies make billions of dollars on us but not be held accountable for
    *their* *own* *screwups*?

    To make matters worse, a bad credit rating can prevent you from attaining
    some jobs. I worked for the US Gov in a highly secure facility and you
    could lose your job, that's right your job, if you credit should become
    bad. Their point of view is that you *might* be tempted to do something you
    should not. The job I have now, also requires the utmost in security, could
    result in termination should your credit receive a bad rating. Some
    insurance companies charge you more if your credit is bad (yes, that is
    true). In short, you life can take a nose dive fast should ID theft hit
    you. So what are our fearless congressmen doing. NOTHING! On top of it Big
    Business gets a free pass....BULLSHIT!

    Anyway, here is the story...

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/24/data_id_theft_secret/

    "Visa and MasterCard argued that because their relationship is with the
    issuing banks, not the customers, they don't have to notify the victims."

    "The Californian disclosure law, passed in January 2003 and a template for
    disclosure legislation in other states, says that consumers should be
    notified in the case of ID theft, although it's riddled with loopholes."

    "The effects of online security fears are already being felt. Analyst firm
    Gartner Group has revised its 2005 ecommerce prediction downwards this year
    after 42 per cent of consumers said they were spending less online because
    of security fears. Some 14 per cent have stopped paying bills online
    altogether."