Re: Beginner's Question

From: Moe Trin (ibuprofin_at_painkiller.example.tld)
Date: 09/24/05

    Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 21:24:02 -0500

    In the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
    <q7f6j114f77d1k107c23o11bblgsqdmdqb@4ax.com>, Jim Watt wrote:

    >I bought spinrite 5 and 6 and its a great product that does what
    >it says. With todays disks it takes forever, but worththe wait.

    I used Spinrite, though I've long forgotten the version to re-interleave
    a couple of Seagate ST-251 under DOS 5. It did make a performance
    improvement, both on a genuine IBM PC-AT 6 MHz (overclocked to 8.5 MHz
    with Scott Mueller's trick out of "Upgrading and Repairing PCs", and
    an 8 MHz Everex AT clone. Only thing I _vaguely_ recall is that is was
    on a bootable 5.25 inch floppy. I stopped using DOS/Windoze in 1992, so
    haven't had a need for it since.

    How does this handle zone based formats. Every disk I've used since the
    early 1990s has used that technique to stuff more bits onto a platter.
    If your O/S uses virtual memory (most *nix), sticking /tmp/ and scratch
    partitions on the outer edge can result in a similar startling speed
    increase compared to putting those in near the hub.

            Old guy