Re: Microsoft Research: Strider GhostBuster Rootkit Detection and "...stealth software that hides in BIOS, Video card EEPROM"

From: Imhotep (Imhotep_at_nospam.net)
Date: 09/20/05

    Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 21:57:13 -0400

    David H. Lipman wrote:

    > From: "Art" <null@zilch.com>
    >
    > the consensus was that no known malware infects the BIOS.
    > |
    >>> Based upon my studying both viruses and hardware I can't see how
    >>> it is possible.
    > |
    > | Why? You can download BIOS updates and reflash.
    > |

    > they are specifically written by the hardware manufacturer for specific
    > mother using a
    > specific tupe of Flashable RAM or programable ROM. That is one thing, but
    > to insert code and haver the BIOS still functional seems a bit far
    > fetched.

    I do not think they are all *that* diverse. I am not a hardware person
    though. Any electric engineers/BIOS software people out there wish to
    comment?

    Imhotep

    • Re: x86 Legacy modes
      ... from a bootable DOS floppy. ... Rather than expecting every hardware manufacturer (including ... and buy the BIOS from one of the ... requires you nowadays to install a floppy image with FreeDOS on a CD ROM ...
      (comp.arch)
    • Re: bios version
      ... Check with your hardware manufacturer, they may have software to do it. ... IBM usually has an RPM that will run on the live system to determine BIOS settings. ...
      (RedHat)
    • Re: ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded
      ... Reflashing the BIOS did not work! ... the ANTICMOS virus is not ... on the boot disks as they were write protected as soon as they were made. ... reflash the Bios. ...
    • Re: Motherboard doesnt work after BIOS update (MSI K8MM-V)
      ... knew that, but how much would it cost to reflash the chip, if they could do ... weeks, reflashed, and working with the newest bios. ... the bios file and after checking the byte size have Gigabyte's flash program ... My mb is an Abit. ...
      (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
    • Re: Cannot boot into XP Pro
      ... >>Can you even access the BIOS at all? ... >>Intel board. ... there is a list of the qualities that ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)