Re: Protecting my hard drive?

From: Stephen Howard (seesigfor_at_email.uk)
Date: 09/15/05

Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 10:43:51 +0100

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 19:25:13 -0500, Mama Bear <MamaBear@No-Spam.noo>
wrote:

>Is there a low cost way to password protect my hard drive, so that
>if it was stolen along with my computer, no one could access it?
>Something not too hard to log in with when I start it up though?
>
>I have Systemworks 2005 but don't think there's anything in there
>for this.

I think encryption's the key ( excuse pun ).
Once someone has access to your computer's internals it's pretty much
all over bar the shouting - but if the data is securely encrypted then
all they really have is a nice new computer.

There are quite a few freeware apps that you might find useful. I use
Blowfish Advanced CS to encrypt my sensitive data, and there are other
good encryption programs out there. Some people prefer to use
encrypted drives or 'containers'. Both systems will work for you, it's
just a matter of preference/convenience.

Blowfish Advanced can make use of 'job files', which essentially act
like DOS batch files. You can set up a series of encryption/decryption
tasks that run from a shortcut on your desktop.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

  • Re: secret key passing mechanism
    ... what is done is these sensitive data are encrypted and then ... NEWFILE will be given to authorized people. ... > The offline tool uses the same library to decrypt the NEWFILE ... how is MYAPP going to encrypt anything? ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Encrypted folders
    ... large database containing a lot of sensitive data. ... to encrypt a folder so that someone examining your system booting from ... that you may want to consider your file swap scheme, ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: Fastest secure erasing of HDs?
    ... here is the fastest way to make sensitive data unreadable to ... Encrypt the drive using a "whole disk" encryption system, ... You need to encrypt the whole disk, not just your home directory, to be ... If it is just your home directory encrypted, you have to worry ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Cannot access encrypted files after changing log-in password!
    ... i had encrypted some sensitive data using the small encrypt check box and everything was fine. ... On checking the certificate information I get this message witha red cross next 2 it:-"This CA Root certificate is not trusted. ... install this certificate in the Trusted Root Certificate..." ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Crypto API / System.Security.Cryptography questions
    ... My requirements are to encrypt sensitive data in a web app. ... I had been using DPAPI user mode, but ran into problems with roaming ... I now plan to generate a secret key, and encrypt that with DPAPI machine ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)