THE NON-WIRELESS WIRELESS NETWORK MONITORING SYSTEM

From: Imhotep (Imhotep_at_nospam.net)
Date: 09/14/05

    Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:38:03 -0400

    Most IT professionals have been asked, one time or another, to trace down a
    possible "rogue" user wireless AP. It never is much fun. What would be nice
    is a system that would help to do this....

    "This new Linux-based wireless intrusion detection system is aimed at
    stopping a network's security from being compromised by detecting the
    installation of unauthorized access points. The wireless detection system
    utilizes wireless drones to develop a wireless network solely to detect any
    wireless signals that emanate from within their workplace. By incorporating
    a GPS module the location of any intruding device can be pinpointed. A
    standard web interface allows the administrator to monitor network usage;
    the system uses e-mail and pop-up alerts to signal possible intrusions of
    the network."

    Full Article here:
    http://www.bbwexchange.com/publications/newswires/page546-2979474.asp

    Im

    • TidBITS#785/27-Jun-05
      ... Jeff Carlson continues his exploration of computerized poker ... and Adam examines both the Canary Wireless ... Rogue Amoeba's Audio Hijack Pro ... A Canary in the Network ...
      (comp.sys.mac.digest)
    • Re: Linksys NAS200 Network Storage adapter
      ... The only two wireless network settings that are of any consequence are the SSID and the encryption method and password. ... either click the "Print Network Settings" button on the final screen of the Wizard or simply access the appropriate XML file and get at them that way and then use the information to configure the router manually as I explained earlier. ... I've read thru some of the MS web site on that product and it appears to do everything a NAS will do plus other cool features, such as, with an xbox360 with the wireless adapter, I can stream my video/pics to my TV for family viewing. ...
    • [NMRC Advisory] Microsoft Windows Wireless Exposure on Laptops
      ... Application: Wireless Network Connection ... This advisory documents an anomaly involving Microsoft's Wireless Network ... If a laptop connects to an ad-hoc network it can later start ... This is known as a Link-Local address, and by default Link-Local is turned on on all Windows platforms on all interfaces, including wireless interfaces. ...
      (Bugtraq)
    • RE: palm VIIx wireless modem
      ... Here is a Wireless LAN Security FAQ, ... What are solutions to minimizing WLAN risk? ... that connects clients to the internal network. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • only 1299.99
      ... With the arrival of the Sony Vaio VGN-UX280P Micro PC, ... Advanced Wireless Mobility ... integrates wireless Wide Area Network, ... and check e-mail without having to plug in your Sony Vaio notebook PC, ...
      (comp.periphs.printers)