Re: M$ Backs out of releasing a security patch...

From: Imhotep (Imhotep_at_nospam.net)
Date: 09/13/05

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:04:18 -0400

Hairy One Kenobi wrote:

> "Imhotep" <Imhotep@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> Hairy One Kenobi wrote:
>>
>> > "Imhotep" <Imhotep@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> > security

>> > Ah. So "adequate testing" is a /bad/ thing?
>>
>> Did anyone say it was?
>
> Erm.. you did, I think, when you had a go at 'em for not releasing
> something that (presumably) failed testing.

I think you assumed some things. You know what they say about assuming...In
stead try read the post literally. It was meant to warm people about a
security hole that MS people are STILL vulnerable for.

>> > I assume an alpha tester threw it out as conflicting with what used to
> be
>> > called a "layered product" ;o)
>>
>> Did MS ever make a true "layer" product?
>
> Huh?
>
> Thought you had a VMS background? Hence the smiley... it means "anything
> that runs on top of the OS". One example would be Microsoft Office (which,
> rumour has it, is run by several people, worldwide)

Although Windows NT was designed with VMS as its model. The two are very
different. VMS was a stable reliable OS and, well, windows is just not and
never has been....

> H1K

Im