Re: M$ Backs out of releasing a security patch...

From: Imhotep (Imhotep_at_nospam.net)
Date: 09/13/05

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:04:18 -0400

Hairy One Kenobi wrote:

> "Imhotep" <Imhotep@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> Hairy One Kenobi wrote:
>>
>> > "Imhotep" <Imhotep@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> > security

>> > Ah. So "adequate testing" is a /bad/ thing?
>>
>> Did anyone say it was?
>
> Erm.. you did, I think, when you had a go at 'em for not releasing
> something that (presumably) failed testing.

I think you assumed some things. You know what they say about assuming...In
stead try read the post literally. It was meant to warm people about a
security hole that MS people are STILL vulnerable for.

>> > I assume an alpha tester threw it out as conflicting with what used to
> be
>> > called a "layered product" ;o)
>>
>> Did MS ever make a true "layer" product?
>
> Huh?
>
> Thought you had a VMS background? Hence the smiley... it means "anything
> that runs on top of the OS". One example would be Microsoft Office (which,
> rumour has it, is run by several people, worldwide)

Although Windows NT was designed with VMS as its model. The two are very
different. VMS was a stable reliable OS and, well, windows is just not and
never has been....

> H1K

Im

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Drag it to the trash...
    ... There might be a piece of software utility out there to help in finding and administering these "roaming profiles" for windows. ... A lot of MSDOS programmers entering into the VMS system schools abhorred vms at first, but later it sank in to just how flexible the system was designed to be. ... the so called installer is basically just a script that has been given priviledges to create files and directories, make changes to the system logical tables, and creating new aliases. ... in hardware to do all that. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: In the Shallow End
    ... When a document claims how an API is supposed to be used and then gives the user examples that actually work, ... Vague in your instance means you have no context to VMS or UNIX of that era. ... Windows offers lots of this stuff. ... That's why Apple had to dump a whole paradigm to plunge ahead and take the lead. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: "Shanghai Stock Exchange" and OpenVMS
    ... Windows was shipping without any "documentation". ... "right out of the box" VMS has no applications at all. ... Guess it depends on the style of manuals you are used ... that I need to use the MS-DOS command window in the first place!)? ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: "Shanghai Stock Exchange" and OpenVMS
    ... Windows was shipping without any "documentation". ... What about VMS as a back-end? ... have never found the VMS manuals to be all that readable or easy to ... where's the secret documentation for all the MS-DOS commands, ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: PC Systems for sale
    ... These have become very popular with our customers as we can still sell NEW ... quite happy to sell desktops with Windows XP support. ... The net result was a recapture by VMS of an application at ... however not running Windows or OSX. ...
    (comp.os.vms)