Re: Is there a way to prevent files from being dragged-and-dropped from a CD?

From: Isaac (isaac_at_latveria.castledoom.org)
Date: 09/13/05

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 01:44:31 -0500

On 12 Sep 2005 11:21:37 -0700, Julia Briggs <julia4_me@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I think it's going to be impossible to implement any sort broad
> reaching protection with every OS -- because it's too late. That is,
> too many operating systems have existed for too many years, at
> different version levels, with mass userbases, that such a feature
> wouldn't deter someone from popping a CD into a older machine? .....
> but what if some modification to the CD could cause it to error on
> "most" operating systems to deter casual duplication of files?

All music CDs require software support for "drag and drop" of music
files because there really is no file system or files on a music CD.
Things have evolved so that the software is more closely integrated
and you don't notice the complexity.

IMO even if newer and more complex protection methods are used, if an
expert learns to crack the protection, there are few technical obstacles
to making it easy for a "drag and drop" implementation to be produced
that even casual Windows fans can use.

Yes there are legal obstacles to distributing such software; namely the
anti circumvention provisions of the DMCA, but none of that seems to have
kept software for copying DVDs out of the hands of the public.

Isaac