Re: Linux Question

From: Imhotep (Imhotep_at_nospam.net)
Date: 09/11/05

Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 23:02:29 -0400

hatschi wrote:

> For lazy beginners I would recommend Ubuntu Linux as mentioned before.
> It is based on Debian and you have the Debian package system which does
> a very nice job by installing and maintaining your software.
> Although you have the benefit of the debian experience of the major
> distro which runs in most universtities as server os.
>
> It is in difference to Linspire free and no licence fees has to be paid,
> which in my opinion is the best reason to change from windows os.
>
> You can also try a different GUI by using KDE with Kubuntu. Same Distro
> - other Look and Feel. (Ubuntu uses the Gnome Desktop)
>
> Have Fun!
>
> Zilbandy schrieb:
>> Everytime I visit a linux site with the thought of maybe
>> downloading a version, I see lots of downloadable files, but nothing
>> straight forward enough for me to feel like I'm doing it right. Is
>> there a version of Linux with a GUI that's free, easy to download and
>> foolproof to install? I know from my own viewpoint, if it was easier
>> to figure out the installation procedure, I would be willing to try
>> it. And, for those who would be calling me lazy, you're right. I'm
>> perfectly content with Windows, so Linux has to intice me somehow.
>> Making installation simple would be a great start.

New release info here:

http://lwn.net/Articles/150972/

Imhotep

Relevant Pages

  • Re: bits/news from the users of Debian?
    ... "Le bottin des jeux Linux" speaks about 800 Linux games and i hope that's growing. ... I start with Debian, then test Mandrake because it seem's at this time very complicated. ... I think graphics interface for installation is a good thing: you have make a good job! ... I use Debian Sid and I have experiment a lot of problem some years ago because i install too recent package on Sid which are not well tested. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Welches e-mail Prog unter dem Aspekt Sicherheit?
    ... SSL Keys bei Debian "bewundern". ... "2 Jahre nachdem der Fehler eingebaut wurde" faellt mir meine Begriffe ... Fehler werden auch bei M$ korrigiert, nicht nur bei Linux. ... dass Netzwerkdienste nach ihrer Installation ...
    (de.comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Linux its free... Good Thing Because Its Full Of Bugs..
    ... >> The Linux distros that we have installed have been indeed quite buggy, ... We installed Debian 3.1 rev0a on a couple of our office Compaq Evo ... The FedoraCore 4 installation story was even worse, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Linux its free... Good Thing Because Its Full Of Bugs..
    ... >> The Linux distros that we have installed have been indeed quite buggy, ... We installed Debian 3.1 rev0a on a couple of our office Compaq Evo ... The FedoraCore 4 installation story was even worse, ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: newbie debian installation questions (very long post)
    ... > Connexant SoftK 56 Modem ... > the installation, and am fairly confident that I should be able to ... > I should also say that this is the first time I am installing a Linux ... > Debian in great detail. ...
    (alt.linux)