Re: Got Burned one too many times

From: Imhotep (Imhotep_at_nospam.net)
Date: 09/09/05

Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 20:44:04 -0400

Jim Watt wrote:

> On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 16:53:03 -0400, Imhotep <Imhotep@nospam.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Yes and no. I think that most software companies would like to widen their
>>software to more platforms.
>
> Nonsense, what they want is to make as much money as possible for as
> little effort.

Oh my God Jim that was the most stupid statement you have made yet. Dah!!!

The point was that I believe most companies would like to make their
software once and have it run anywhere. Why? They could QA it once and have
it run the same everywhere. For one cost they could support all. Hence the
reason for Java being invented.

>>Again, this was what java was all about.
>
> Java sucks. Its tedious, over complicated and hasn't really made it.

How is it tedious and over complicated? Are you taking about writting
programs in Java or installing Java?

> The applications I've had to install that use it, like Reuters Kinecta
> are painful unfriendly and unstable.

It is funny on UNIX/Linux/BSD Java is pretty damn stable (and a crap load
faster than Windows). Kinda funny that is runs well in Linux, BSDs and Macs
but, only Windows has a problem with it....hummmmm...

It is widely known the MS saw a threat in Java. After all, they lose
leverage if a piece of software could run anywhere. Coincidence that MS had
problems with Java? think not.

>>However, M$ did successfully sabotage it on Windows just for that reason.
>>They, MS, does not want comapies to write software that can be used on
>>many platforms. This is how they illegally hook you into MS solutions.
>
> nothing illegal about providing features on their OS that developers
> find attractive.

Did you even read the paragraph??? The point was that MS intentional
sabotaged Java because it threaten their marketing strategy...

> Just that for some MS can do no right.

When they do, I will give them credit. On a side note, I have a Playstation
and an XBox. The XBox is pretty ok....

> --
> Jim Watt
> http://www.gibnet.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Natted IP
    ... Jim Watt wrote: ... >>Still trying to figure out why I couldn't reproduce report. ... > if you have java or javascript turned off it won't do its trick; ... I have Java off, Java scripting on. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Microsoft Windows Mobile anyone?
    ... Microsoft .NET Framework, isn't ubiquitous even with platforms like ... Before the .NET Framework I was using Java, VB6, and other tools to ... that single platform for Windows server development, ...
    (comp.databases.pick)
  • Re: Clear the Screen
    ... cannot be implemented in any standard way across platforms. ... Even the 'standard' C and C++ languages which, like Java, aim for platform ... do not implement such functionality. ... of a development commitment needs be made by using JNI. ...
    (comp.lang.java)
  • Re: cross-platform programs
    ... > platforms, and have licensed the technology to IBM and others for other ... Yes, there's the Mono ... >> Is Java platform independent? ... however: Sun support JREs on multiple ...
  • Re: Reading LAST line from text file without iterating through the file?
    ... guaranteed to work on all platforms or not. ... For instance, when discussing a Java ... fgetpos and fsetpos do not work on offsets but on an opague type ... standardized on ASCII flat files for text files. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)