Re: Hidden-code flaw in Windows renews worries over stealthly malware

From: Hairy One Kenobi (abuse_at_[127.0.0.1)
Date: 09/03/05

Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 00:00:12 GMT

"Shadus" <shadus@shadus.org> wrote in message
news:HvydnXg-zJ7f9IXeRVn-sA@giganews.com...
> On 2005-09-01, Jim Watt <jimwatt@aol.no_way> blabbed:
> > I gave up on SCO because of editing in vi
> Lol, vi (vim specifically) is my favorite editor. It's simple,
> powerful, and does everything I could want out of an editor for source
> code, text files, configs, etc. I can use emacs in a pinch, jed, jove,
> pico, nano, whatever. I prefer vi, even use it in windows when I'm
> forced to work there.
>
> To give up an entire os because you don't like/can't grasp its default
> editor seems... eh nevermind, it speaks for itself.
>
> > All this cryptic stuff is very fine, but these days now
> > storage is cheap its utility is outweighed by the trouble
> > in learning it and getting it right.
> I don't understand what you think is cryptic, especially since the
> original thread regarded the registery if I remember right. The
> original point if memory serves was that unix config files are much
> simplier than the registry and safer too since a single change in one
> value won't leave your machine in an unbootable state.

LMAO on that one - VI is a perfectly reasonable line editor (first used 'em
on Cyber mainframes), but a fairly poor excuse for the FSEs that emerged in
the 1980s. Heck, EVE showed how to convert a perfectly good VAX line-editor
into an excellent FSE. More than two decades ago.

And even modern editors could learn a few tricks from the 300kB or so of
MultiEdit (1988, DOS 3.01 or higher, if memory serves).

Anyway - the argument's pointless unless you've ever used CED Pro 2.
Blitters /rock/, when it comes to editing ;o)

--
Hairy One Kenobi
in the first place. So there!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Core Constituency (and other ramblings)
    ... Remember that these are my own views and opinions. ... To gain access to alternate databases, ... The Editor has the cool tag editor. ... modeling, requirements management, and source code management. ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • Re: "The several varieties of gun nuts"
    ... WHY he's a former editor. ... But,it just goes to show that the fellow may have opinions; ... Pity you do NOT actually provide any evidence that his opinions are ... The guy makes hysteri calclaims (aka "opinion"); ...
    (talk.politics.guns)
  • Re: su setgid: Operation not permitted
    ... being able to login directly as root using your editor of choice. ... Expressed in this posting are my opinions. ... to opinions held by my employer, Sun Microsystems. ...
    (comp.unix.shell)
  • Re: Lep News Schappert Editorial
    ... his opinions. ... At the end of this year Phil Schappert will step down as editor of the ... NEWS and I, for one, will be very happy with this turn of events. ...
    (sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera)
  • Re: science writing/editing/publishing/journalism
    ... The best money for an editor, in my experience, ... >Bob has already pointed out that you are considering more than editing. ... The editors of medical journals tend to be rather better qualified ... > Government jobs tend to ...
    (misc.writing)