Re: spam canned.

From: Dazz (cashdj_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 09/02/05

Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 01:03:56 +1000

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 02:01:17 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>From: "Imhotep" <Imhotep@nospam.com>
>
>| David H. Lipman wrote:
>|
>>> From: "Imhotep" <Imhotep@nospam.com>

>>> Pure FUD !
>>>
>| Try expanding on your comment. Which part, in you belief, is FUD?
>|
>| Imhotep
>
>"No doubt Microsoft has monetary gain from SPAMMERS...."
>
>I doubt it.

Perhaps we should let Microsoft's Technology Care and Safety Group
head, Ryan Hamlin, tell us.

"Microsoft's Technology Care and Safety Group, headed by Ryan Hamlin,
is celebrating a blow against spam in the US after securing a $US7
million settlement from former spammer Scott Richter, who Mr Hamlin
describes as the third largest spammer in the US, responsible for
sending out more than 20 billion spam messages in just one year."

"However, he says the New Zealand Government's Unsolicited Electronic
Messages Bill is "too broad" and could impinge on "the amazing vehicle
of e-mail marketing". "

"Mr Hamlin says Microsoft would like to see the bill changed so that
businesses could be confident they could continue to use databases
that they had already compiled to send out e-mail."

"He also wants definitions in the bill changed so that companies would
be able to e-mail information about new products and services to
customers, even if they had opted out of receiving e-mail about other
services they had bought from the company in the past."

"Microsoft is keen to stamp out spam, but Mr Hamlin is concerned the
bill as it stands could prevent businesses from sending out e-mails to
people who had been their customers."

"He says businesses ought to be able to send unsolicited e-mail to
people even if they are unsure if they have a pre-existing business
relationship with them."

Hmmmm. "...the amazing vehicle of e-mail marketing"?

"...ought to be able to send unsolicited e-mail to people even if they
are unsure if they have a pre-existing business relationship with
them"?

If it looks like Spam, it sounds like Spam and it tastes like Spam, it
probably is Spam. :-(

Dazz