Re: Hidden-code flaw in Windows renews worries over stealthly malware

From: Shadus (shadus_at_shadus.org)
Date: 09/02/05

Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 10:01:22 -0500

On 2005-09-01, Jim Watt <jimwatt@aol.no_way> blabbed:
> I gave up on SCO because of editing in vi
Lol, vi (vim specifically) is my favorite editor. It's simple,
powerful, and does everything I could want out of an editor for source
code, text files, configs, etc. I can use emacs in a pinch, jed, jove,
pico, nano, whatever. I prefer vi, even use it in windows when I'm
forced to work there.

To give up an entire os because you don't like/can't grasp its default
editor seems... eh nevermind, it speaks for itself.

> All this cryptic stuff is very fine, but these days now
> storage is cheap its utility is outweighed by the trouble
> in learning it and getting it right.
I don't understand what you think is cryptic, especially since the
original thread regarded the registery if I remember right. The
original point if memory serves was that unix config files are much
simplier than the registry and safer too since a single change in one
value won't leave your machine in an unbootable state.

> My first job was maintaining programs written in machine
> code without any documentation, it taught me that often
> the readable version is better.
Which is why all the good commenting in most unix config files is really
nice... compared to the registry, especially when dealing with 3rd party
applications and programs which may or may not have a key there that is
required... shrug, I'll stick to configs.

--
Shadus