Re: Hidden-code flaw in Windows renews worries over stealthly malware

From: Shadus (shadus_at_shadus.org)
Date: 09/02/05

Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 10:01:22 -0500

On 2005-09-01, Jim Watt <jimwatt@aol.no_way> blabbed:
> I gave up on SCO because of editing in vi
Lol, vi (vim specifically) is my favorite editor. It's simple,
powerful, and does everything I could want out of an editor for source
code, text files, configs, etc. I can use emacs in a pinch, jed, jove,
pico, nano, whatever. I prefer vi, even use it in windows when I'm
forced to work there.

To give up an entire os because you don't like/can't grasp its default
editor seems... eh nevermind, it speaks for itself.

> All this cryptic stuff is very fine, but these days now
> storage is cheap its utility is outweighed by the trouble
> in learning it and getting it right.
I don't understand what you think is cryptic, especially since the
original thread regarded the registery if I remember right. The
original point if memory serves was that unix config files are much
simplier than the registry and safer too since a single change in one
value won't leave your machine in an unbootable state.

> My first job was maintaining programs written in machine
> code without any documentation, it taught me that often
> the readable version is better.
Which is why all the good commenting in most unix config files is really
nice... compared to the registry, especially when dealing with 3rd party
applications and programs which may or may not have a key there that is
required... shrug, I'll stick to configs.

--
Shadus

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Hidden-code flaw in Windows renews worries over stealthly malware
    ... vi is my favorite editor. ... vim is an incredibly powerful editor -- if you can learn how to use it. ... And vim with config files is wonderful -- it ... back to the original comment about the registry vs. config files: ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Hidden-code flaw in Windows renews worries over stealthly malware
    ... vi is my favorite editor. ... Are there no Emacs guys/girls around here???? ... > original thread regarded the registery if I remember right. ... > Which is why all the good commenting in most unix config files is really ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: need some serious help here!!!
    ... No, I love MSVC's editor, it is very handy. ... edit UNIX config files. ... As about emacs - my experience with it is - started it, did not found a way to ... Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP ...
  • RE: [Full-Disclosure] M$ - so what should they do?
    ... proprietary editor. ... file system API to open and display the config files. ... can you use any editor that uses the registry API to open and display the ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Microsoft Photo Editor
    ... By default Photo Editor is install into this directory C:\Program ... I found this will not work in the registry edit. ... Control the things you can and Don't Worry about the things you can't ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos)