Re: Password cracking and webmail.

From: Unruh (unruh-spam_at_physics.ubc.ca)
Date: 08/29/05

Date: 29 Aug 2005 18:31:57 GMT

qewjf <kewfk2@ifrw.com> writes:

>According to a website I use: "XXX uses hi-tech software to prevent
>password crackers from operating, but most web-email providers, such as
>Hotmail, do not. Because anyone who has access to your email account can
>request your XXX password, revealing your email address means that
>anyone capable of hacking your email account can request your XXX
>password. This happens around 300 times a day and in these instances,
>there is nothing we can do to help you."

>I do not understand this. When I access my webmail, I type in the
>username/password and the page loads. If the combination is incorrect I
>am rejected.

>1. Are there crackers that work on web based e-mail? I thought you
>had to download the password file and crack it locally.

>2. How do they work?

>3. Wouldn't the cracker be locked out after a few incorrect enteries?

Many places will send y ou your password if you loose it. They send it to
your email account on file. Thus if someone can get at your email account
they can request thatthe password be sent to you and then read what the
password is from your email.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Heres your Red Cross....
    ... > else who wants to investigate me from finding my posts to ROFF. ... > It is a request, ... > Since I post from my "work" account (it's my only email account, ... But I do offer my own opinions. ...
    (rec.outdoors.fishing.fly)
  • Re: Password cracking and webmail.
    ... >>anyone capable of hacking your email account can request your XXX ... Some sites have their password files exposed that can be accessed using ... The most common "cracker" I have seen used on Yahoo are simple name ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Tracker - wheres you sample pages?
    ... Several of us have made a serious request that you post (on the web, ... in any newsgroup) 5+ pages from 5+ chapters of your book to show that ... email account for people to respond with that will forward directly to ... My email address is shown below - just follow the directions below it. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Tracker - wheres you sample pages?
    ... Several of us have made a serious request that you post (on the web, ... in any newsgroup) 5+ pages from 5+ chapters of your book to show that ... email account for people to respond with that will forward directly to ... My email address is shown below - just follow the directions below it. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)