Re: US Gov looking for input about IE ONLY pre-patient web site...

From: Hairy One Kenobi (abuse_at_[127.0.0.1)
Date: 08/14/05

Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 17:40:45 GMT

"Management" <charlienospam@peartreegreen.org> wrote in message
news:42ff3b37$0$18648$14726298@news.sunsite.dk...
> Jim Watt wrote:
>
> > Many electronic banking packages are restricted to IE because
> > of its security features.
> > --
> > Jim Watt
> > http://www.gibnet.com
>
> Now that just is not true, it comes down being lazy and cheap. In
> fact at least one US government security agency has advised people
> to use 'alternative browsers', meaning Firefox, Opera, etc.

I'd love a cite on that one (preferably not from an evangalist). My company
codes cross-platform, so it's something that would be useful to me
personally in discussions (all large customers - aside from a Nutscrape 4.7
French car maker - are 100% IE outside of the IT department)

The main problem, incidentally, really *is* laziness - they don't
specifically code for Firefox when they check the browser major version.
Given its roots, one might view this as sheer arrogance from Firefox.

> My wife & I have a number of US & UK bank accounts between us that
> are very happy to accept accept Firefox. Not forgetting Amazon,
> eBay, paypal and every site that I've bought from.

The vst majority are. The killer (as described above) is where you have to
have particular features - usually a minimum of 128-bit SSL. IIRC, that
"only" came out in 1999. I still stumble across 800x600 Windows 3 desktops,
let alone the hoards of Win95 users still lurking out there. As Jim says, if
you check the small-print, you'll probably find that your bank only support
IE. Use something different, by all means, but don't expect *support*.

You'll find the same thing (at least in the UK) when it comes to ISPs and
DSL/Cable routers. Loads have 'em, but you'd be hard-pressed to find an ISP
that *officially* offers support for them. Hell, since my ISP went IBM (via
Bangalore), I've had to explain how SMTP works from the bottom up, just to
get them to fix a bad switch/option on one box in a farm of otherwise
correctly-configured servers...

> Quite simply a sensible website designer will design his/her site to
> be compliant with web standards - that is not use any IE specific
> coding (no ActiveX) and not use Frontpage to create it. That way the
> designer can be sure that the site will render correctly in all
> graphical browsers.

Frontpage (retch).

The only site that I access with ActiveX is Windows Update, and things that
require plug-ins such as Flash or PDF (same damn technology under the
covers, no matter how you dress it up). The only time that the sites differ
is when using a Mozilla pixel (which is a different size to every other
pixel) and browser-specific limitations. In other words, look-and-feel,
rather than content.

--
Hairy One Kenobi
in the first place. So there!