Re: US Gov looking for input about IE ONLY pre-patient web site...

From: Jim Watt (jimwatt_at_aol.no_way)
Date: 08/14/05

Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 16:02:00 +0200

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 13:39:10 +0100, Management
<charlienospam@peartreegreen.org> wrote:

>Jim Watt wrote:
>
>> Many electronic banking packages are restricted to IE because
>> of its security features.
>> --
>> Jim Watt
>> http://www.gibnet.com
>
>Now that just is not true,

So you say. Thats not what some banks state when specifying
the requirements to use their services.

>My wife & I have a number of US & UK bank accounts between us that
>are very happy to accept accept Firefox. Not forgetting Amazon,
>eBay, paypal and every site that I've bought from.

I use it too, but still have to use IE for certain websites.

>With IE's position being gradually eaten away we will see all sites
>having be able to deal with Firefox, etc.

Heres some current statistics

   Browser % of Total Visitors
1 Internet Explorer 6.x 75.46%
2 Netscape 6.x 8.49%
3 Internet Explorer 5. 4.78%
4 Netscape 4.x 3.01%
5 Others 2.00%

>Quite simply a sensible website designer will design his/her site to
>be compliant with web standards - that is not use any IE specific
>coding (no ActiveX) and not use Frontpage to create it. That way the
>designer can be sure that the site will render correctly in all
>graphical browsers.

That statement is not correct, there are some subtle differences
between firefox and IE6 and I don't use activeX or frontpage.

>PS: this is my last response to you Jim lad as it seems to me that
>you just like to argue blindly. Hope the sun is shining on you in
>Gibraltar :)

Everyone has opinions, facts can be established.

see: http://www.gibnet.com/weather.htm

--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com