Re: Good example of how companies are abusing the DMCA

From: Jim Watt (jimwatt_at_aol.no_way)
Date: 08/12/05

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 21:01:13 +0200

On 12 Aug 2005 16:12:24 GMT, Unruh <unruh-spam@physics.ubc.ca> wrote:

>Jim Watt <jimwatt@aol.no_way> writes:

>>>?

>>>Think again. They are pushing laws outside of the US.
>
>>Push all you want, they still don't apply.
>
>Which was why a Russian programmer, who wrote his software in Russia, was
>arrested when he visited the USA for violating the DMCA, and spent a few
>weeks in jail.

I wan't planning a visit this year as it would require a new
passport. According to the US embassy website, next year
will require yet another new 'biometric' passport the design
of which has not been finalsied as yet.

I believe the Russian (who cracked Adobe pdf protection)
was released as there was no legal basis to persecute him;
he came to talk about copy protection at a conference.

--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Good News for MTRP
    ... Getting Estonian passport is much-much easier then with ... got in a born again Estonia. ... Other problem is - our russian speakers live ... become clear maiority there - and they will opt not as Chinese state, ...
    (soc.culture.baltics)
  • Re: Good News for MTRP
    ... you know well russians in Baltics have in fact more rights then ... just wonder how one can have rights without having a passport? ... As they could have "theoretically" got all possible rights under Soviet constitution including a passport to travel - the same they got in a born again Estonia. ... Other problem is - our russian speakers live ...
    (soc.culture.baltics)
  • Re: Good News for MTRP
    ... you know well russians in Baltics have in fact more rights then ... just wonder how one can have rights without having a passport? ... As they could have "theoretically" got all possible rights under Soviet constitution including a passport to travel - the same they got in a born again Estonia. ... Other problem is - our russian speakers live ...
    (soc.culture.baltics)
  • Re: Teaching the English about how to use *our* language...
    ... passport, for example. ... Especially how often the Hollywood myth of the US ... IIRC we only finished paying off that debt in the 1990s. ... then Russian. ...
    (uk.rec.audio)
  • Re: OT/ US Election 2008
    ... Does it count if she can see Russian from her house (a la Tina Fey)? ... Palin actually said that during her interview with Charles ... I also read that she got her first passport 2 years ago - did she use ...
    (rec.arts.tv.soaps.cbs)