Re: Call for Windows IE 7 Boycott...

From: Colin B. (cbigam_at_somewhereelse.nucleus.com)
Date: 08/05/05

Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 17:47:10 GMT

Hairy One Kenobi <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

> Usual HTML development procedure: decide what to write (often an hour or
> two), format it for use in IE (a couple of minutes, on my home-grown content
> management system), then try and work our which bits of Firefox don't work,
> or have stopped working, and try and find workarounds (open ended, often
> days)

Of course, the opposite would hold equally true.

> Not that I'm criticising it as an alternative browser, just that it's far
> from complete in supporting standards. Both browsers have some pretty horrid
> limitations.

This is true, although firefox is much closer to standards conformance than
IE. More to the point, firefox developers consider not complying with an
official standard to be a bug, and something that should be fixed (eventually).
MS does not take this view with IE, and that anti-standards attitude is a
good reason for a boycot.

Colin

Relevant Pages

  • Re: opinions wanted
    ... I'm on Windows XP and Firefox 1.5 and it works fine. ... Yes, IE is non-compliant with standards, and a pain in the butt to write ... explanation blurb on the links page seem long and mostly unnecessary I ...
    (rec.gardens)
  • Re: OT: Mozilla/Firefox (was:Re: Windoze ends year with a major cert ...)
    ... How many Linux users are there worldwide? ... Firefox has some of its own, ... the real standards isn't that high a priority (given that other browsers ... It has never been BG's desire to abide by standards. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Cost of the M$ monopoly-$10BIllion/year.
    ... >>> And yet for me at least its Firefox that tends to display things ... >>still isn't bothering with full standards compliance. ... > I have usually with Firefox is that graphics are displayed obviously ... than useless (it can actually cause corruption of valid CSS in documents ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: OT: Computers
    ... I can't stand the constant queries: are you trying to install such and such; are you sure you want to install such and such; did you click on the control panel? ... basically every web-browser in the world has agreed to one set of standards with the notable exception of Internet Explorer. ... but security will be the tops. ... Because Firefox is the ...
    (rec.gambling.poker)
  • Re: Getting Fox News to work with Firefox
    ... to do with firefox, fedora, linux or anything at all related to them. ... Windows part of the problem is with firefox on Linux. ... standards will not load on browsers that adhere to the standards. ...
    (Fedora)