Re: looking for a simple freeware hard drive encryption tool

From: David (shadoweyez_at_hotpop.com)
Date: 07/28/05

Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 19:24:29 GMT

Depends on if the OS is windows or a type of linux.

If it is windows, the easiest one is the one built into it, the EFS
(encrypted file system) which uses triple-des as the cipher algorithm,
and that is fairly secure.

If the OS is linux, then it is not so simple to do, but from what I have
tried and read, the most secure is a program called loop-aes.
Essentially you boot off a live linux-cd like knoppix and run the
program from there. If you want to have the HD encrypted while booted
into the OS, you have to recompile the kernel to add in some special
options, and make a loopback device that essentially encrypts/decrypts
data to/from the drive, which is no easy task to set up.

Encryption is not like what's in the movies. It's hard to setup, harder
to break, and not very sexy.

David

dex wrote:
> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>
>>dex wrote:
>>
>>>"ruinz" <ruinz.NG@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

>>>thx,
>>>i have found the thread. but there is nothing what is similar to what
>>>i am looking for. i already know the most of the tools discussed.
>>>these tools are mostly commercial and you need to install them.
>>>i need something wiht a bootable disk and there is no need of
>>>on the fly encryption while using the hd.
>>>just something simple ;). if i would know how a hd + patitions + mbr
>>>are working, it would be only a matter of some hours to programm such
>>>a tool (a very basic). but i cant find a tool like this already done. :/
>>
>>Have you looked at
>>http://www.ce-infosys.com.sg/CeiProducts_FREE_compusec.asp?
>>
>>Notan
>

> yes i have. thx. but this tool is much to complex. it is
> also a on-the-fly encrypton tool. :/
>
> i have already searched the inet again. have nothing found
> what would do the job.

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Religion... was RE: [Full-Disclosure] Re: January 15 is Personal Firewall Day, help the cause
    ... there is no A/V software for Linux that protects ... Of course, many of them do run A/V software, but it's to protect Windows ... In today's environment, software *must* be secure first, with usability added ... Microsoft systems take the opposite approach, ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Viruses
    ... were slow to ship systems that installed secure by default. ... I don't believe it has as many server listener ... practically any time you look at a Windows box sideways. ... users are more vulnerable than average linux users. ...
    (rec.photo.digital)
  • Re: log in through root
    ... want to log in through root because i want to learn administrative property. ... Linux has a different mindset from Windows. ... I believe it is not the operating system that is secure or insecure. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Security comparison between Microsoft and Linux
    ... > So how secure is a good Linux distribution compared with Windows XP ... The way I see it is this: those that are able to run Linux, ... Fetchmail & procmail or setup a POP3 server? ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • RE: Ten least secure programs
    ... Linux actually came out on top of the pile ... Subject: Ten least secure programs ... secured Windows server is more secure than a non-secured Linux server, ... The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant, ...
    (Security-Basics)