Re: looking for a simple freeware hard drive encryption tool

From: ruinz (ruinz.NG_at_gmail.com)
Date: 07/26/05

    Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 23:41:10 -0600

    dex wrote:
    > hi,
    >
    > i am looking for a tool to encrypt an entire hard drive
    > or partitions.
    >
    > i am thinking of such a program:
    >
    > 1) booting from a disk CD/Floppy with the encryption program
    > 2) encrypting all harddrives with this program
    > 3) transporting the hard drives
    > 4) booting from a disk CD/Floppy with the encryption
    > program
    > 5) decrypting the encrypted hard drives
    >
    > is there a simple free/commercial program?
    >
    > i know there are some encryption tools which can
    > do something similar on the fly.
    > but this tools need to be installed with the os and so on.
    >
    > i am looking for something simple as decribed. not tuching
    > the os.

    Earlier this month there was a small discussion on a few HDD encrypting
    tools. Looking back through the headers it started on 7/7/05, you can't
    miss it. I havn't actually done any encrypting on this level so I really
    cant help you out much more than that, but you might want to take a look
    at that thread until someone more knowledgable comes around.

    • Re: hard drive password
      ... > become unreadable thereafter due to encryption, ... > any version of SafeBoot really support multiboot setups. ... > the hard drives unless unmovable files are omitted; ... EFS also allows the user the ...
      (microsoft.public.security)
    • Re: Terrorism and the 90 day lie
      ... "Terrorists are now highly capable in their use of technology. ... The examination and decryption of such vast amounts of data takes time and needs to be analysed before being incorporated into an interview strategy ... ... It was noted recently that the anti-paedophile Operation Ore caused large scale delays in checking PC hard drives. ... I would doubt that these people use public key encryption for emails. ...
      (uk.legal)
    • Seagate hard drive encryption worries child advocates
      ... Seagate hard drive encryption worries child advocates ... The 320GB Seagate Maxtor BlackArmour ... police to effectively interrogate hard drives and find improper ...
      (uk.legal)
    • Re: U.S. government orchestrated takeover of Lacie?
      ... Seagate, the hard disk maker, has taken over Lacie, a European company ... which makes external hard drives. ... I believe this takeover is not ... every product with strong encryption in it will ...
      (sci.crypt)
    • Re: Are computer forensics people as stupid as they seem?
      ... What you said is that you had devised a way to make encryption ... people that look at hard drives, you'd know it stands an excellent ... you have to concede that what I'm doing would pass for wiped data. ...
      (alt.privacy)