Re: Does anyone recognize this?

From: ROBERT S AMP BA Drake (robtsdrake_at_verizon.net)
Date: 07/23/05

Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 21:38:49 GMT

Paula,

In the short term, I would reformat your drive and reload your operating
system. Follwing that, reload your necessary (only) software such as
Internet Explorer, Office software, etc. No games or any software that was
obtained over the net.

Purchase a copy of Norton Ghost and "ghost" your system to CDs. This will
make a mirror image of your hard drive. Should you reinstall the bad
software again, run Ghost and you will be back to where you were.

When you finally have everything just the way you want it - virus, spyware,
etc. free, Ghost it again.

Ghost will also rebuild your system on a brand new drive (should yours
fail) - it is excellent protection. Back up your document (non program)
files on separate CDs.

Bob
<pokee@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>I just connected to the net to download updates to my Norton Internet
> Security/Antivirus software - and that's when the problem started.
>
> I've just run adaware and spybot, re-scanned my PC for viruses, and the
>
> problem still exists.
>
> I have a feeling I am just going to have to re-format again - for the
> millionth time. Dell tells me that this could reduce the life of my
> hard drive. This is getting really frustrating.
>
> Is there a methodology I should be using after
> re-fromatting/re-installing windows that will protect me better? The
> first thing I do is install anti-virus software - but that requires
> connecting to the internet for updates. It's kind of a catch-22...what
>
> should I do?
>
> Thanks for your advice.
> Paula

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Time Failure since Norton Ghost 10
    ... to see how far off my clock now is. ... after installing Ghost 10 the time changed to one hour off. ... the end of the restore. ... Click on the "Internet Time" tab in the "Date and Time ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Problem loading of XP Pro
    ... > only thing that has changed was the format and reaload of XP. ... > dit be a good idea to go back and reload XP again??? ... Make sure you do not connect to the internet until you have set the router ... Follow the steps for a clean install from the link below. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Gothic 3 - Worth buying in its current form?
    ... aint a ghost, I could give him what-for again if I want). ... Welcome to the Internet and enjoy your stay! ... No stranger to the Internet (including newsgroups here), ... It's as if there's something about games ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg)
  • Win2K cannot resolve names to ip address
    ... It will not resolve names either on the Internet ... I have also removed the NIC drivers and ... correct the problem without a reload of the OS. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
  • Re: New HD with New XP do I reload M/Board apps?
    ... >using Ghost, a fresh copy of XP. ... >reload scores of his apps etc ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)