Re: How the hell is someone getting my email address?

From: ThornCutter (ThornCutter_at_gmail.com)
Date: 07/16/05

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 12:29:49 GMT

"Edw. Peach" <bogus_addie@none.net> wrote in message
news:4dcgd1p385sikqhplq1mm4mbmuqtaj8aqs@4ax.com...
> My OS is WinXP Pro. I use Firefox as my main browser and Eudora as my
> email program. I do not keep my email program open except when I'm
> reading/writing email. My internet connection is broadband cable. I
> use a firewall (software) all the time, run AV software regularly,
> plus Ad-Aware.
>
> I have a primary email account that I N-E-V-E-R use. My ISP has sent
> me a few notices at that address, but as I said, I do not use it
> otherwise, period.
>
> I've started getting mail at that address recently and I can't figure
> out how anybody would have gotten it. It's quite random and doesn't
> use any words found in the dictionary.
>
> Is there ANY WAY a web site can lift any of my email addresses if I
> visit their site? Are they stored anywhere on my computer that this
> site can access? If so, how do I stop that from happening?
>
> Thanks.

The one know one has mentioned is your ISP has been breached, they may have
had their database scoured, and I suspect you may soon be getting more
garbage mail in your letter box. ISP's keep this stuff quiet as I imagine
that it would be bad for business.

So are you with Telstra?

Relevant Pages

  • How the hell is someone getting my email address?
    ... I use Firefox as my main browser and Eudora as my ... I do not keep my email program open except when I'm ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: How to remove window update patches
    ... critical updates. ... Your time is better spent tweaking your browser OR your email program (if ... Browser, Outlook or ??? ... so i got on to some forums and one said that i needed to ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Overactive hyperlinks
    ... No-Spam, at, nordquist, dot, us wrote: ... If I ever needed to start my browser, ... Is it possible to disable the feature that has excel ... start my browser or email program? ...
    (microsoft.public.excel)
  • Re: Sending Attachments to PC Users
    ... >>> That may depend on which email program you're using. ... > In Eudora, selecting UUencode instead of MIME will send only ... > couldn't understand UUE, and MIME is more modern, so I use MIME as my ...
    (comp.sys.mac.comm)
  • Re: Opera 11 web browser
    ... I'd download and install it so that I could check my websites with it. ... It made itself my default browser and email program, it put an icon on the ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)