Re: Security overkill?

From: David H. Lipman (DLipman~nospam~_at_Verizon.Net)
Date: 07/14/05

    Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 13:30:07 GMT

    From: "Louise" <>

    | Thanks.
    | Could you tell me what these ports are sometimes used for (other than
    | "bad" things)?
    | I just want to be sure I'm not blocking something I use and want.
    | Louise

    Port 135 -- Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and Location Service (loc-srv) -- used by the MS
    Networking for various functionalities.

    Port 136 -- nothing uses this port and it is easier to exclude the range, inclusive of this
    port, than to enter the exact ports.

    Ports 137, 138 and 139 -- NetBIOS over IP, the main component of MS Networking to access
    File and Print Shares.

    Port 445 -- Microsoft-DS, Used for Server Message Blocks and other MS Networking constructs
    on Win2K, WinXP and Win2003 Server.

    None of these ports are used for normal Internet access. They are used on the Local Area
    Network (LAN) to share data between computeers but are not (annd should not be open to) the
    Internet or the Wide Area Network (WAN).

    By putting those plocks in hackers and Internet worms won't enter the LAN and no MS
    Networking can leak out onto the WAN. A simple but effective protection.

    • Re: How do I Open Port 4125
      ... Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on ... Sounds like port 4125 issue. ...
    • Re: Network Design
      ... I connect to the internet at present via the SOHO TC 6 then the ADSL ... The soho TC 6 passes smtp etc to the WAN NIC. ... trusted port on the local network. ...
    • Re: oops again
      ... If you leave your car at the mall with the keys ... >> networking from your server on up can you determine this. ... >> You configure the Firewall on the Router to just block every single port. ...
    • Re: Enhanced Remote Desktop Web Connection Page
      ... To download a modified client, ... the advanced client on the bottom of the list... ... My Networking Blog: ... >I've been frustrated by the inability to put the port number in on the ...
    • Re: Ethernet for MegaSTe
      ... network access) every time I needed to use the floppy drive, ... if you can get a NetUSBee you can have Sting/MintNet networking ... takes 30 minutes to transfer a few files from the MegaSTe to the Mac ... If you really cant get rid of the stuff in the cartridge port and get ...