Avast questions

From: Louise (none_at_nospam.com)
Date: 06/25/05

Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 15:11:27 -0400

Running Win XP Pro SP1, Sygate Pro, a Linksys router and now, Avast Pro.

After removing Norton AV, I then had Kaspersky mess up my internet
connectivity.

I uninstalled Kaspersky and installed F-Secure. A few times, after a
program hung and I had to shut down, F-Secure didn't load properly.
Considering this too risky, I uninstalled F-Secure :-)

I have now installed a trial version of Avast Professional which seems
to be working very well and I have a few questions:

Avast says it checks for new virus definitions everytime you connect to
the internet. Since I have an always on connection (cable), I sometimes
don't reboot my machine, thereby reconnecting to the internet, for 2
days. Is there a way for Avast to check every few hours, or once a day,
regardless of whether I've reconnected to the internet?

The Professional version includes script blocking - the free home
version does not. It's my impression that script blocking is a good
thing to have - is this true or is it unnecessary? What are the
benefits of the Pro version?

Avast also runs the VDRB generator, "virus recovery database". Is this
worth the resources it takes or should I turn it off?

TIA

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Windows XP Prof problem with lsass.
    ... >> I have installed Windows XP Pro and when restarted got ... >> Internet connectivity is through an Aztech ADSL Ethernet ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • ghosts?
    ... I have a home network setup like this 2 XP pro and 1 xp home connect to an 8 ... The internet is also connected to it. ... ever get connectivity, could not repair said couldn't renew IP. ...
  • SP2 and Internet connectivity
    ... After making sure that I was not connected to the internet in any way. ... formatted my hard drive and installed XP Pro on my computer. ... internet connectivity as soon as I downloaded and installed SP2? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Remote Desktop over the internet
    ... I have purchased Windows XP Pro because it said on the box that I would be ... able to remote connect to my PC over the internet. ... DSL modem which is always connected to the internet. ... and read the article of how to setup my PC for remote connectivity from an ...
  • Re: ZA Pro and XP Pro - My Issues and Questions! Help!
    ... Generic Host process for win32 services needs access and one other which ... > I just got a new computer with XP Pro preinstalled, ... > wanting access to the internet and wanting server rights... ... I have not been prompted to register this product.... ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)