Re: Trojan horse Downloader.Generic.ML

From: Chris Salter (chriss_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 06/22/05

Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 16:31:34 +0100

Art wrote:

>>If you are talking about ISPs giving out broadband access via wireless
>>you are correct. The topic however was about people cracking wireless
>>access points, routers etc so I assumed you were talking about. (ie.
>>people on ADSL/DSL/T?/E? wired connections sharing out using an AP)
>>If so then yes I am saying its impossible to stop customers using wireless.
>

> Why?

Obviously they could come around your house and check. Or they could
setup remote cameras/antennas to check. Not exactly cost-effective.

Go and find all the relevant RFCs (NAT, ethernet, wireless bridging) etc
and show me how they could detect it? To all intense purposes all the
ISP sees is the traffic from ISP <-> Router. (This isn't strictly true
of course. BUT routers could obfuscate the client data if need be or
you could use local proxies).

--
Chris Salter

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Law firm drops porn granny suit
    ... We stayed with hardwired routers until recently precisely to avoid security issues. ... BTW, if anyone is looking for a wireless router I can recommend Apple's Airport Extreme, setup was fast and easy--the exact opposite of our experience with routers from Linksys and D-Link (which required hours on the phone to someone in India ... You downloaded thousands of images at 11:30 last night," the man's lawyer, Barry Covert, recounted the agents saying. ... For some, though, leaving their wireless router open to outside use is a philosophical decision, a way of returning the favor for the times they've hopped on to someone else's network to check e-mail or download directions while away from home. ...
    (rec.music.gdead)
  • Re: Trojan horse Downloader.Generic.ML
    ... The topic however was about people cracking wireless ... routers etc so I assumed you were talking about. ... >>If so then yes I am saying its impossible to stop customers using wireless. ... ISP sees is the traffic from ISP Router. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • RE: Wireless access
    ... if not all wireless access points and/or routers will have ... do any wireless routers contain tools so ... to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. ... Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Roamin on my ranch -- identifying locale
    ... See wikis below for info on "hotspot" routers. ... my own preference being Buffalo wireless ... John Navas FAQ for Wi-Fi: ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: ALERT: WPA can be less secure than WEP
    ... >>families, including desktop routers, travel routers, and CardBus, PCI ... I'll conceed that other manufacturers are using SES. ... >clueless users deploying insecure wireless systems. ... >I use FireFox 1.5beta3 and found a few bugs. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)