Re: Hard Drive scrub

From: Nog (nognog_at_adelphia.net)
Date: 06/20/05

Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 08:06:24 -0400

  "---" <no@spam.com> wrote in message news:kXtse.1721605$6l.1632425@pd7tw2no...
  I've scrubed one of my hard drives using an application that does multiple wipes followed by a final writing of all zeros to every sector of the hard drive.

  How can I verify that the hard drive has truely been scrubed before I send it offiste?

  Thank you

   Get a program like Diskwizard and do a full zero fill action on it.
  If you are really paranoid, do it several times. This overwrites all sectors, partition tables and boot sector, the entire disk surface.
  And if you are really really paranoid, get a variac (ac auto transformer) and plug your computer into it. Raise the voltage from 120 to 135 and do the zero fill program. The magnetic field on the write head will be higher thus obliterating all previous write overruns.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How to clone a HD in Linux?
    ... Hard drives can have different sector sizes (see my posted ... The advice and its ... assuming that hard drives can be copied onto one another without problems. ... I pointed out that their hard disk was dead, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: How to Format HD NTSF?
    ... unable to write to a sector, therefore it adjust by moving to the next ... > If the partition is currently NTFS, booting from a DOS boot disk would be ... > though you could use FDISK to delete the partition and Format to format it ... Given the low cost of new hard drives today ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Corrupt profile
    ... bad sector! ... They shouldn't increase capacity if they can't make them work reliably! ... It's odd how hard drives have the best warranties, ... FOURTEEN - CHECK OUT THE BABY! ...
  • Re: write files to unpartitioned space
    ... and use the same tools or better to look at hard drives a sector at a ... portion of the disk as "used." ... Use a tool to write your secret files into ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Hard Drive scrub
    ... I've scrubed one of my hard drives using an application that does multiple wipes followed by a final writing of all zeros to every sector of the hard drive. ...
    (alt.computer.security)