Re: Hard Drive scrub

From: someone2 (someone_at_somewhere.nowhere)
Date: 06/19/05

Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 19:04:34 -0400

"nemo_outis" <abc@xyz.com> wrote in message
news:Xns967967BD16F88abcxyzcom@127.0.0.1...
> "someone2" <someone@somewhere.nowhere> wrote in
> news:c2Xse.50429$iU.16228@lakeread05:
>
>> "nemo_outis" <abc@xyz.com> wrote in message
>> news:Xns967878AC1CCAEabcxyzcom@127.0.0.1...

You missed the point.
Not that you don't make a few good points, ie. if I was wiping 10 hdd's
simultaneously (only one now), I could easily not wipe down a hdd.
That hdd may or may not have anything of any value to anyone.

You did not provide any further details re "second-harmonic magnetoresistive
microscopy "

So, that topic must still be fiction and not fact!

Btw, I quote an article from Peter Gutmann on my website, he states
microscopic recovery of data from hdd is not feasible.(2004)

Facts, not B.S please!

btw jobs I have sent to Ontrack have been $2000 or more, I am sure if there
is a feasible commercial solution to read data from platters they would have
it available!
Their representative for Ontrack resellers (once again 2004) stated they
cannot recover via any microscopic methods.

FACTS, not BS!

If, and I doubt it, you have a link to DR via microscopy, nothing general
but a company or detailed info, I would really appreciate the link.

>>> If a HD contains, or has ever contained, sensitive data it should be
>>> destroyed, not erased, when one is finished with it. Since new
>>> drives cost less than $1/gig these days, anything else is madness.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>
>> "second-harmonic magnetoresistive microscopy "
>> Please provide a direct link to factual information.
>>
>> I contacted NIST, a few forensics companies, Ontrack and some other DR
>> companies in 2004.
>> All stated at that time DR via microscopy was not feasible.
>

> You don't quite seem to get it. It's not whether I can *prove* that data
> recovery is possible by TLAs or others using sophisticated hardware
> methods but whether it is worth *risking* it. While the technology may
> not be commercially viable for ordinary recovery houses (e.g., Ontrack)
> that does not set the limits of the possible. Peter Gutmann - in whom I
> have far greater confidence than you - was warning about sophisticated
> hardware data recovery back in 1996 - and I have no doubt that the
> technology has improved markedly since then.
>
> Despite your bland assurances that data recovery is not possible after
> software overwriting, I prefer instead - and recommend to others - that
> they exercise the prudence which the DoD *requires* even for ordinary
> business-use computers: destruction of the HD after use. I regard as
> highly indicative the fact that the orange-book recommendations for
> overwriting (DoD 5200.28-M) were last revised back in 1988 and
> specifically *rescinded and revoked* in 2002!
>
> Moreover, aside from data recovery, there are any number of ways to
> *bungle* the overwriting in the first place! These include skipping over
> sectors marked "bad" (but which may nonetheless contain valuable data) to
> the overwrites being buffered and resulting in a single write. There is
> also the possibility, for instance, of disk areas such as the HPA being
> completely overlooked. Lots of ways for all but an expert user to screw
> up and leave valuable data behind.
>
> Add to that the additional overhead of verifying that the data has been
> effectively erased (or do you prefer to run blind?) and the cost to scrub
> goes up further.
>
> As for whether the drive has ever held sensitive data, the overwhelming
> likelihood is that the company *does not know!* While the drive may have
> ended its life on the shipping dock, it might have started life in the
> office of the vice-president.
>
> You may choose to roll the dice - that's entirely up to you - But IMHO
> it's both foolhardy and a waste of time for a drive that's worth less
> than 5 bucks!
>
> Regards,

Relevant Pages

  • Re: copying the hidden XP recovery partition
    ... containing a copy of XP Pro and what is called the "Product Recovery ... Not only would you "lost the only copy of the OS" should your HDD "go ... backup system that you would employ on a routine basis; ... I was wondering how you can copy the hidden Recovery disk ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Help!
    ... The good news is that the "recovery" CD will not do a full installation, ... it does NOT reformat the hdd. ... partition to "save" all your personal files to? ... the computer did not come with a Windows XP CD. ...
  • Re: Maxtor hdd crash (track 0 corruption ?)
    ... > i was being asked for atleast $300 for the recovery fee (recovery in my ... > damn quiet HDD's) so if the head is seeking and disk are rotaiting and ... > board is OK there should be a way of lowlevel talking with the HDD ... What makes you think that rewriting track0 will fix the problem? ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Re: Maxtor hdd crash (track 0 corruption ?)
    ... > i was being asked for atleast $300 for the recovery fee (recovery in my ... > board is OK there should be a way of lowlevel talking with the HDD ... > (which should be the way producer company -Maxtor- programs that track ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Re: Recovering My Documents After Using a Recovery Disk
    ... very rare exceptions, a HDD which crashes will crash again soon, and should ... drive perhaps), your best bet is to use the recovery program of your choice, ... After installing a new HDD and recovering your system (Operating system ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)