Re: Do I block access from svchost to DHCP?

From: Walter Roberson (roberson_at_ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca)
Date: 06/17/05

Date: 17 Jun 2005 00:57:00 GMT

In article <9at3b15ueiurqbtqfeh9unff6nhrhl4abk@4ax.com>,
Mark McIntyre <markmcintyre@spamcop.net> wrote:
:On 14 Jun 2005 22:42:18 GMT, roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter
:Roberson) wrote:

:>Windows is closed-source,

:Frankly, and don't take offense, but thats irrelevant. Nobody's asking
:you do debug the source code. If you can't identify why random app X
:stops working after you apply security patch Y, then perhaps you're in
:hte wrong business.

Oh, right, I forgot.

  Q: "Oh, Magic 8 Ball, after I applied patch KB8931280, why did FranzTunes
     start randomly stuttering from time to time?"

  Magic 8 Ball: "In mandatory DLL IESkDr7, the developer used
     A | B where he should have used A | !!B . To get around the
     problem, change the 317 registry keys that will be shown to
     you one by one on subsequent shakes of the Magic 8 Ball."

Remember the thesis being expressed here was htat I am tantimant to
being a criminal if I back out or don't apply a Windows Security
Patch, so to find and fix the problem the way you seem to feel
that anyone should be able to, one has to be able to navigate
through scores of DLLs, hundreds of binaries, and thousands of registry
keys. Installation of even a simple program can end up updating
literally hundreds of registry keys.

If you tell me that it is reasonable for anyone (other than really
sharp Windows experts) to know what each of those keys does and how
they interact, then I will not believe you. If you use regedt32 to
export HKLM then that alone is over 28 megabytes -- over 287000 lines!
Just to read it -once- would take over 8 days of continuous reading
at 500 words per minute.

--
Are we *there* yet??