Re: Tracing peer to peer user.

From: Unruh (unruh-spam_at_physics.ubc.ca)
Date: 05/31/05

Date: 31 May 2005 01:42:49 GMT

"Murray R. Van Luyn" <vanluynm@iinet.net.au> writes:

>Hi,

>I'm interested in tracing a peer to peer user that is distributing my
>software in breach of copyright.

>I can get the ip address he is using with his dial-up account, and maybe the
>ISP using traceroute. What I really want is his username/ e-mail address so
>that I can politely remind him that there is no anonymity on a network.

>Any (helpful) suggestions anyone?

That is what the RIAA and Movie Association want too. They have gone to
court in many countries to try to get it. In many they were told to get
lost. In some the courts were compliant and forced the ISP to reveal the
person.
You will have to get a court order and then possibly run a lawsuit against
the ISP to get the name, etc.
While I understand your concern, I hope you fail.
There should be some degree of anonymity on a network.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Tracing peer to peer user.
    ... ISP and ask them for the username. ... I'm in two minds regarding network anonymity, ... >>that I can politely remind him that there is no anonymity on a network. ... > court in many countries to try to get it. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Good News for Quakers
    ... I refer you to U.S. Supreme Court case ... Justice Black ... ... Anonymity thereby provides a way for a writer who may ... Federalist Papers, authored by James Madison, ...
    (soc.religion.quaker)
  • Interestingly enough.
    ... Court Rules in Favor of Anonymous Blogger ... In a series of obscenity-laced tirades, the bloggers, among other ... The Supreme Court agreed, reversing and remanding the case to Superior ... "The possibility of losing anonymity in a ...
    (alt.support.chronic-pain)
  • New on Court TV
    ... Thursday Night is Movie Night on Court TVWith Most ... Investigation-Themed Blockbuster Films from Turner Library to Air ... the Network Which Inspired TV Trial Coverage in the U.S. ... get a glimpse into the true crime stories that interest ...
    (rec.arts.tv)
  • Re: Justifying anonymity of criminal defendants
    ... Justifying anonymity of criminal defendants ... Courts-Martial Appeal Court ... Before Lord Justice Latham, Mr Justice Mackay and Mr Justice King ...
    (uk.legal)