Re: Saving old emails...

From: Michael Pelletier (mjpelletier_at_mjpelletier.com)
Date: 05/21/05

Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 16:24:08 -0700

Jbob wrote:

> "Michael Pelletier" <mjpelletier@mjpelletier.com> wrote in message
>>A lot of companies recently have begun making security policies of *NOT*
>> saving old emails. My last company did this as a way of preventing
>> information for potential lawsuits. If your company does this, you might
>> want to rethink the policy.
>>
>> http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/05/20/217207&from=rss
>>

> Sounds like a bunch of legal mumbo jumbo to me. The premise is not about
> saving emails but being able to prove ones case, either way. Most of
> these
> stupid laws were/are passed to protect one side in a case anyway. Then we
> all have to suffer. What's next, the government is gonna tell you you
> have
> to keep all the mail the comes in your postal mail box too? Record all
> phone conversations? All just in case!! lol

Honestly, here is my take. I worked for a little while at an health care
company. I will not name it. They were consistently being sued as they
broke many laws. The lawyers, who actually ran the place, made an in-house
policy to delete any and all emails that were more than 30 days old. They
only did this to prevent information, and hence proof, in any pending law
suit. That is the only reason they did it.

I personally, after working for this company and seeing the shadier side of
business, I agree with the ruling. After all, if you are not doing anything
wrong, why do you need to worry about saving emails?

Michael

--
"Trusted Computing" is a SCAM
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.html