Re: Saving old emails...

From: Michael Pelletier (mjpelletier_at_mjpelletier.com)
Date: 05/21/05

Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 16:24:08 -0700

Jbob wrote:

> "Michael Pelletier" <mjpelletier@mjpelletier.com> wrote in message
>>A lot of companies recently have begun making security policies of *NOT*
>> saving old emails. My last company did this as a way of preventing
>> information for potential lawsuits. If your company does this, you might
>> want to rethink the policy.
>>
>> http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/05/20/217207&from=rss
>>

> Sounds like a bunch of legal mumbo jumbo to me. The premise is not about
> saving emails but being able to prove ones case, either way. Most of
> these
> stupid laws were/are passed to protect one side in a case anyway. Then we
> all have to suffer. What's next, the government is gonna tell you you
> have
> to keep all the mail the comes in your postal mail box too? Record all
> phone conversations? All just in case!! lol

Honestly, here is my take. I worked for a little while at an health care
company. I will not name it. They were consistently being sued as they
broke many laws. The lawyers, who actually ran the place, made an in-house
policy to delete any and all emails that were more than 30 days old. They
only did this to prevent information, and hence proof, in any pending law
suit. That is the only reason they did it.

I personally, after working for this company and seeing the shadier side of
business, I agree with the ruling. After all, if you are not doing anything
wrong, why do you need to worry about saving emails?

Michael

--
"Trusted Computing" is a SCAM
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.html

Relevant Pages

  • Re: saving copies of sent emails
    ... Lotus Notes. ... Because I have Outlook set to save everything, I waste a ton of space with ... stupid emails like replying if I'm going to lunch. ... You can either enable the default to save messages when sending and then disable the saving for particular messages, or disable the saving and enable it for particular messages. ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.general)
  • Re: Saving old emails...
    ... My last company did this as a way of preventing ... > information for potential lawsuits. ... saving emails but being able to prove ones case, ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Saving old emails...
    ... A lot of companies recently have begun making security policies of *NOT* ... saving old emails. ... My last company did this as a way of preventing ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: shell cript deleting backups
    ... if your saving every 3 days.. ... and you'd ahve 30 day rotations of old emails that will be overwritten ... the emails you want to save is already saved in your mail folders ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Email security
    ... private, I should manually move the messages into a protected folder. ... You want to allow someone to monitor your incoming emails, ... What I had in mind was to be able to tell my close friends to password protect their emails if I didn't want my colleague/secretary to read any personal stuff. ...
    (uk.legal)