Re: AIM Send out random messages

From: PA Bear (PABearMVP_at_gmail.com)
Date: 05/19/05

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 16:21:27 -0400

The filenames which Oscarbot & variants drop are constantly morphing. At
this point, AV and anti-malware teams can't keep up with them all so no,
scanning with other AVs aren't likely to offer better results (but YMMV).
See the "Oscarbot The Grouch" story I linked to earlier.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
asdf wrote:
> thank you all for awesome replies. However do you have any idea why would
> mcafee with the latest definitions not be able to detect the problem?
> Will scanning with norton, kaspersky would be more successful?

>> W32/Oscarbot & variants (which are multiplying exponentially)
>> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=oscarbot
>>
>> For a sample of what you're in for, see "Oscarbot The Grouch" at
>> http://aumha.org/elist.cgi
>>
>> Checking for/Help with Hijackware & (Trojans like Oscarbot)
>> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
>>    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
>>    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
>>    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/tshoot.htm
>> http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/
>>
>> Meanwhile, forbid the use of AIM on *any* machine.  Keep seeking and
>> installing McAfee updates (i.e., several times a day) and scanning.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
>>

>> asdf wrote:
>>> people on our network seem to be affected with a weird security problem.
>>> Their
>>> AIM's are sending out random messages to their buddies. Scanned entire
>>> network
>>> with Mcafee and all the spyware removers. All the critical updats are
>>> installed.
>>> Also tried upgrading to the latest version of AIM but that didnt help.
>>> THey dont have firewall on their network just ACLs on their router.
>>> Any other ideas on how to approach this problem

Relevant Pages

  • Re: AIM Send out random messages
    ... The filenames which Oscarbot & variants drop are constantly morphing. ... scanning with other AVs aren't likely to offer better results. ... >> installing McAfee updates and scanning. ... >>> people on our network seem to be affected with a weird security problem. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: AIM Send out random messages
    ... Checking for/Help with Hijackware & (Trojans like Oscarbot) ... installing McAfee updates and scanning. ... > people on our network seem to be affected with a weird security problem. ...
    (alt.computer.security)