Re: Restricted Access Very Capable Router?

From: trs80 (trs80_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 05/19/05

    Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 07:42:30 -0700

    ok..thanks.....looks like routers are not there yet...thanks again

    "Rock" <rock1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I just finished research on about 60 routers from 10 companies, and
    > timed access was not a feature in any.
    >
    > Basically the router guys stick to layer1-2-3 support, and don't
    > typically get into upper layer support. This is because the upper
    > layer stuff has to be handled in their OS, not by the routing chips.
    > The processors they use for API processing are pretty anemic, so they
    > don't like to add OS features.
    >
    > Take a look at Cisco's IOS. It is the most feature rich, but if you
    > use many of those features, the routers slow down.
    >
    > I agree with Michael, you could use a spare PC as your router and run
    > Linux. Not as fast as the hardware routers, but you can add numerous
    > freeware spam and virus filters, etc. For client protection, get
    > yourself an app like CyberPatrol or NetNanny. Cost 30-40. If you
    > want freeware, you could try www.parents-friend.de, they have timed
    > access.
    >
    > Rock
    >
    > On Wed, 18 May 2005 19:47:30 -0700, Michael Pelletier
    > <mjpelletier@mjpelletier.com> wrote:
    >
    >>trs80 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Restricted Access Very Capable Router?
    >>>

    >>> What is the best router for providing lots of capability for creating
    >>> policies to create Access Restrictions (Broadband or not)? this for
    >>> small home network.
    >>>
    >>> I have tried the Linksys BEFSX41 and the WRT54GS. Both have almost
    >>> identical Access Restrictions setup features and allow access by time
    >>> and
    >>> seperately allow keyword, protocol and URL filtering (but these are not
    >>> time filtered but 100% of the time.)
    >>>
    >>> I was hoping to be able to include in time window the additional
    >>> restrictuion due to protocol etc. and as well as having more setups then
    >>> the 10 policys Linksys provides.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>
    >>Well, if you are using linux/*BSD on your server it already has the
    >>ability
    >>to restrict access to ports based on time. Look at xinitd...if you are
    >>using Windows, no idea. Sorry.
    >>

    >>Michael

    • Re: Any way to dismiss individual software update notifications ?
      ... it is also missing support ... and retain "Timed Access" - a fundamental feature for me to limit my ... feature was already in 6.1. ...
      (uk.comp.sys.mac)
    • [fw-wiz] QoS and P2P?
      ... It looks like Cisco has some interesting-ish QoS feature called "Network ... likely to have the routers IMO.) ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • 876-K9 | 876-SEC-K9.
      ... Do the routers in the object differ only by te software installed? ... Do the share the same hardware? ... Is it possible to installed the SEC feature after the purchase, ...
      (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
    • Re: Can I run Samba and phpMyAdmin on Solaris 10?
      ... I thought only larger routers did that, ... consumer stuff. ... Even the little Cisco switches will do this, ... feature. ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)