Any absolute MUST reason for a DMZ?

From: Rock (rock1_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 05/19/05

Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 23:51:47 GMT

Is there any absolute *must have it* reason for a DMZ?

Would the judicious use of port-forwarding be an alternative? As long
as I know each app's port, I think I could use the router to block
unwanted ports.

Maybe the only reason is the router won't tell me if there's a DOS
attack going on. And looking at the logs, I think the log filtering
is "natto-so-good-o". (you need some Japanese to get that one).

But I can't think of another reason. Any others?

Rock

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Internet connectivity
    ... It is possible I suppose that Norton Internet ... Did you remove Norton to try and fix the problem or for some other reason? ... info on router settings you might check them just in case, ... spyware which is a HUGE source of internet problems these days. ...
  • MSN crash
    ... connection is excellent (cable and Sitecom WL114 router). ... I think this is the reason for her bad Internet connection and thats why ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: OLD PC TO NEW PC
    ... copying files like that should be no problem at all... ... The reason that ... Your new PC will come with a network card, your old PC may have one. ... you either need to borrow a switch, a router or get a crossover cable to ...
  • Re: Router making computer slow.
    ... This disconnects your ... If router and local network are the problem, ... No reason to mess ... > all cables are neatly tucked out of sight. ...
  • Re: META: Working NNTP server?
    ... to bind to a priviledged port for some reason. ... obvious reason it would work as root but not as "you". ... Has either your news reading program or your OS been updated lately? ... All I did was restart the router. ...
    (rec.roller-coaster)