Re: DMZ option on router

From: Kenotic (kswain_at_gmail.com)
Date: 05/12/05

    Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 21:50:02 -0400

    GreenSpade wrote:
    > Hello, I was wondering if enabling the DMZ option on my router is really so
    > dangerous? Will people start trying to hack my computer immediately if I
    > turn it on? It's a Siemens 2614 and it's frigging hard to configure ports
    > for hosting. so it would help. Thanks

    Enabling the DMZ option on the router will remove all firewall
    protection. All traffic not handled by anouther rule will be passed to
    the machine. This could lead to exploits. Just wondering, why would you
    want to do that anyway? Maybe if you give an example I can help you out.

    --Kenotic

    • DMZ option on router
      ... I was wondering if enabling the DMZ option on my router is really so ... Will people start trying to hack my computer immediately if I ...
      (alt.computer.security)
    • Re: Daytona... how do I switch off the Turbo button?
      ... ...I haven't been able to find an online multiplayer game yet and I ... My router is a Linksys WRT54GS v1.1. ... I may resort to 3rd party firmware if nobody here has ... I haven't got that router but does it have a DMZ option? ...
      (uk.games.video.misc)
    • Re: A Strange Networking Setup
      ... Take advantage of the DMZ option the router offers you. ... should redirect all traffic to the DMZ. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: VPN Problems
      ... I can see why it would have to be, but I don't honestly know how it's set on my home router - whatever the mfr's default. ... I'd try enabling it on your end, where it for sure needs to be enabled, and if you get the same error, try enabling it on the remote router as well. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: time for TCP ECN defaulting to on?
      ... Perhaps it should be a question of enabling it, and educating people ... The problems range from no connectivity to in a few extreme cases routers actually crashing or behaving in very unpredictable ways. ... When a clueless end-user gets a Linux-enabled netbook that crashes their router while their existing Vista or XP systems appear to work just fine then the Linux network stack will get the blame for being buggy, ...
      (Linux-Kernel)