Re: any ideas how to stop this

From: Jon (nospam_at_jcosby.com)
Date: 05/07/05

Date: 7 May 2005 12:29:32 -0700

>...choose a username that doesn't have your real name, but something
>close", but unlikely to be found in a phone book, or dictionary. If
>you DON'T plan on using it for mail (or only mail from a very limited
>number of people) choose a username of RANDOM letters/numbers. For
>the public usernames, I send the output of a random character
>generator (in UNIX, it's called /dev/random - microsoft hasn't
>invented that yet) through a binary to printable_character converter
>(uuencode, or mimencode) and use the first 8 characters of that
>string. That gives names like 'muUECA3N', 'wYW0xAJ1' or 'UbXPaOBD'

What would be the purpose of that? I haven't heard of spammers using
cracking software.

Jon

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Is There A Variable Type I can use to Hold a Value Even When the application is closed?
    ... R Tanner wrote: ... I plan on having a button that will clear out the value ... to two separate variables and held for an undetermined amount of time, ... Actually, for anyone interested, I wrote the username out to a text ...
    (microsoft.public.access.forms)
  • Login to multiple top level sites
    ... The plan includes ... >the user log in and show them a list of the top-level ... >getting the list of sites that they are members of once I ... >accepts the username and password, ...
  • Are there any plans to increase the username length?
    ... Looks like FreeBSD one of the few modern OS which have the maximum ... length of username less than 255. ... Windows: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc783323.aspx ... Any plan to catch up with other OSes? ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • Re: QC: good function?
    ... I see Username, Password and Bank Account and Pin in the URL... ... Not because you plan to encrypt the ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)