Re: "Trusted Computing" SCAM?

From: nemo_outis (abc_at_xyz.com)
Date: 05/03/05

Date: 03 May 2005 00:15:20 GMT

Michael Pelletier <mjpelletier@mjpelletier.com> wrote in
news:Cdzde.12916$_K.6130@fed1read03:

> nemo_outis wrote:
>
>> Michael Pelletier <mjpelletier@mjpelletier.com> wrote in
>
> Good papers. They were long but, very intertesting. I think more
> interesting is how big business is trying to sugar coat this by saying
> how it will enhance security when in fact it is all about controlling
> what people do on their computers. Indeed, if they get their way, your
> computer will be nothing more than a terminal to the "microsoft
> network". Your computer will no longer serve you but, in fact, serve
> big American business interests. What you do, how you do it and who
> you do it with. Shame on them for this and shame on anyone that sits
> idly by without doing anything.
>
> Michael

For the longest time I have been a fan of encryption to produce computer
privacy and, more broadly, privacy in general. In fact, one of the areas
in which I have been commercially active is financial privacy (and it has
been a monumental struggle to avoid running afoul of the money laundering
laws - especially since 9/11) (In my view money laundering is the "crime"
of keeping financial matters private from the intrusions of government.)

I pushed for full OTFE HD software encryption, and I still think there is a
*major* role for hardware based encryption. So, I'm in favour of things
like the TPM chip - but with one *gigantic* difference: I want the consumer
to be in control rather than business.

So, count me in favour of hardware encryption, but with the *consumer's*
finger on the trigger.

Regards,

Relevant Pages

  • Re: "Trusted Computing" SCAM?
    ... >> big American business interests. ... > privacy and, more broadly, privacy in general. ... > I pushed for full OTFE HD software encryption, and I still think there is ... Controlling what the user does, with whom and how he does ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Recovering Confidential Data
    ... >> encryption likewise) although I sign all my outgoing messages. ... it's a matter of privacy. ... Sometimes i mail my (business) ... For that matter, every time you access a secure web site, you're ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Personal Recommendations for Free List Compatible Email Service
    ... Gmail users don't have to join Google+. ... privacy is to, um, post nothing - unless of course that's not your true ... All business *must* do what? ... There are dozens of free email providers - they all try and make money ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Nosey coworkers
    ... The only business that should show up on the OP's computer is the business ... There are NO rights to privacy regarding material on a company computer ... Being the administrator of an XP computer implies nothing with regard to ... an employee should show respect to the employer by NOT ...