Re: Desparate for help!!!!!!

From: Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE (
Date: 05/01/05

Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 15:41:38 -0500

For Issue 1:
Your HijackThis log is NOT attached. Please don't post it here!
First eliminate any spyware.
What You Should Know About Spyware

CAUTION!!!!! Removing some spyware can damage the Winsock stact. Before
you try to remove spyware using any of these programs , download a copy of
LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks (all Windows
Winsockfix for W95, W98, ME, NT, 2000, XP
Directions here:
Get WinSockxpFix
How to Reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
In WinXP SP2: You can fix Winsock by going to Start | Run and typing
In the command window type
netsh winsock reset

Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines

Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
won't. Also, each needs to be updated with the program's update function
before every use, even when just downloaded. There's also a lot more to do
than just those two programs. CWShredder is also available here:
**Post your HijackThis log to or the Spyware forum at for expert analysis, not here.**
Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
may be found on this page:

See this link for information about malware:

If nothing there helps, please post back to this thread.

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
Please respond in Newsgroup.  Do not send email
Protect your PC
"bruce" <excel.nospam@johnsonclan.ney> wrote in message
>I have been plagued by 2 issues with IE6.
> First, I know some would want me to switch to another browser. That is NOT
> possible as some of the sites I am working with require IE6. No Firefire,
> Netscape, etc
> Issue 1:
> With some javascript applets (as far as I know, they are ONLY Javascript -
> not 100% sure) One site requires MS Java - I NEED to access this site for
> work.
> When the javascripts are accessed, some of the ones that load in their own
> window, will load, and then right away close out. I can not enter any data
> into these. Other javascripts work just fine.
> So far, all of the javascripts I am having problems with are behind
> password protected sites. But on the same sites, again, most of the
> javascripts work fine! Just so that you know, the sites I REALLY need are
> (real estate web hosting - very good service and
> designs! Just they are stumped on this....),
> (voip phone service) they are
> changing service, so they are not helping me right now...)
> Issue 2:
> I can not change my home page.
> It will allow me to make the change, but it will not "stick". As soon as I
> make the changes in tool-internet options, then tools, the reenter, it is
> back to
> This LOOKS legit... but???
> I have gone the the regestry, and all instances of the address above have
> been change to the desired home page. No luck....
> -------------------------
> Troble shooting done:
> Updated to all latest security patches (did this as soon as I reformatted
> HD several months back - and maintained upgrades)
> I have ran adaware, adwatcher (alway running), spybot, mcafee (always
> running), trend micro, hijackthis. All seem to be OK. (I am not 100% sure
> about HIJACKTHIS - log attached)
> Deleted cookies, temp files etc...
> I have tried Sun Java - then one site complained about this.I NEED this
> site for my work!
> what else can I do?
> Is there a way to uninstall IE6 (running Win XP) with out reinstalling all
> of windows? Or a way to reset ALL setting etc to original?
> I have tried sfc /scannow to no avail
> Please help me..... I am losing productivity....
> I do not want to reinstall winXP.... (I know I may have to but....)
> Thanks
> Bruce

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Internet Explorer6 loading problem
    ... as if it has there years attracting Spyware. ... I did try the winsock repair tool and ran that but it made no difference. ... >> I have turned off Play Video, Show Pictures, Show Image Download etc - no ... > Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder ...
  • Re: XP: Lost DNS recognition
    ... Start with a Winsock check. ... Try HijackThis and expert advice: ... Spyware Warrior: ... spyware builds itself into the network software, and its removal may damage your ...
  • Re: Internet Exployer 6.0
    ... malware, spyware or parasites on your system causing this problem. ... Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites: ... Also be sure to use the HijackThis. ... Winsock Fix Utility ...
  • Re: Unable to change the default homepage
    ... Some variants of malware can replicate ... Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites: ... Also be sure to use the HijackThis. ... Winsock Fix Utility ...
  • Re: Server Busy
    ... You may have a hijacker, malware, spyware or parasites on your system ... Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites: ... Also be sure to use the HijackThis. ... Winsock Fix Utility ...