Re: Desparate for help!!!!!!

From: Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE (franksaunders_at_mvps.org)
Date: 05/01/05

Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 15:41:38 -0500

For Issue 1:
Your HijackThis log is NOT attached. Please don't post it here!
First eliminate any spyware.
What You Should Know About Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx

CAUTION!!!!! Removing some spyware can damage the Winsock stact. Before
you try to remove spyware using any of these programs , download a copy of
LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks (all Windows
versions)
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
Winsockfix for W95, W98, ME, NT, 2000, XP
http://www.tacktech.com/pub/winsockfix/WinsockFix.zip
Directions here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=257
WinXP:
Get WinSockxpFix
How to Reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
In WinXP SP2: You can fix Winsock by going to Start | Run and typing
CMD
In the command window type
netsh winsock reset

See
Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
won't. Also, each needs to be updated with the program's update function
before every use, even when just downloaded. There's also a lot more to do
than just those two programs. CWShredder is also available here:
http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder
**Post your HijackThis log to
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ or the Spyware forum at
http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
may be found on this page:
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.

See this link for information about malware:
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars

If nothing there helps, please post back to this thread.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
Please respond in Newsgroup.  Do not send email
"bruce" <excel.nospam@johnsonclan.ney> wrote in message
>I have been plagued by 2 issues with IE6.
> First, I know some would want me to switch to another browser. That is NOT
> possible as some of the sites I am working with require IE6. No Firefire,
> Netscape, etc
>
> Issue 1:
> With some javascript applets (as far as I know, they are ONLY Javascript -
> not 100% sure) One site requires MS Java - I NEED to access this site for
> work.
> When the javascripts are accessed, some of the ones that load in their own
> window, will load, and then right away close out. I can not enter any data
> into these. Other javascripts work just fine.
> So far, all of the javascripts I am having problems with are behind
> password protected sites. But on the same sites, again, most of the
> javascripts work fine! Just so that you know, the sites I REALLY need are
> www.advancedaccess.com (real estate web hosting - very good service and
> designs! Just they are stumped on this....),
> http://voippro.gologin.net/index.jsp (voip phone service) they are
> changing service, so they are not helping me right now...)
>
> Issue 2:
> I can not change my home page.
> It will allow me to make the change, but it will not "stick". As soon as I
> make the changes in tool-internet options, then tools, the reenter, it is
> back to
> http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&pver=6&ar=msnhome
> This LOOKS legit... but???
> I have gone the the regestry, and all instances of the address above have
> been change to the desired home page. No luck....
>

> -------------------------
> Troble shooting done:
> Updated to all latest security patches (did this as soon as I reformatted
> HD several months back - and maintained upgrades)
> I have ran adaware, adwatcher (alway running), spybot, mcafee (always
> running), trend micro, hijackthis. All seem to be OK. (I am not 100% sure
> about HIJACKTHIS - log attached)
> Deleted cookies, temp files etc...
>
> I have tried Sun Java - then one site complained about this.I NEED this
> site for my work!
>
> what else can I do?
> Is there a way to uninstall IE6 (running Win XP) with out reinstalling all
> of windows? Or a way to reset ALL setting etc to original?
>
> I have tried sfc /scannow to no avail
>

> Please help me..... I am losing productivity....
> I do not want to reinstall winXP.... (I know I may have to but....)
>
> Thanks
> Bruce

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Internet Explorer6 loading problem
    ... as if it has there years attracting Spyware. ... I did try the winsock repair tool and ran that but it made no difference. ... >> I have turned off Play Video, Show Pictures, Show Image Download etc - no ... > Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder ...
  • Re: XP: Lost DNS recognition
    ... Start with a Winsock check. ... Try HijackThis and expert advice: ... Spyware Warrior: ... spyware builds itself into the network software, and its removal may damage your ...
  • Re: Internet Exployer 6.0
    ... malware, spyware or parasites on your system causing this problem. ... Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites: ... Also be sure to use the HijackThis. ... Winsock Fix Utility ...
  • Re: Unable to change the default homepage
    ... Some variants of malware can replicate ... Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites: ... Also be sure to use the HijackThis. ... Winsock Fix Utility ...
  • Re: Server Busy
    ... You may have a hijacker, malware, spyware or parasites on your system ... Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites: ... Also be sure to use the HijackThis. ... Winsock Fix Utility ...