Re: XP password

From: donnie (donnie_at_queyosepa.org)
Date: 04/30/05

Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 16:41:18 GMT

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 19:10:45 -0500, Winged <Winged@nofollow.com>
wrote:

>> #############################
>> Are XP passwds encrypted?
>> Test it. Either run a brute force cracker against it or
>> ncrypt it and then run it through John The Ripper using the following
>> syntax john -i file.txt
>> file.txt is the usr:encrypted that you created.
>> donnie.
>If one has access to the system, No password is Uncrackable. If One can
>extract the sam and the registry, a brute force crack on these will
>reveal the passwords though a long one is better (length you used might
>take a couple days). If one uses secondary disk encrption it also slws
>folks down in recovery if properly implemented, There are easier methods
>however to gaining full access to the system. You don't mention what
>you are trying to protect from. But there is no uncrackable password, if
>one has physical access.
>
>Winged
#######################
We all know about the physical access thing. I'm sure the OP did too.
I understood the question to be could the passwd be cracked remotely.
donnie

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Preventing Software Piracy ???
    ... may be) this is moot. ... If they have physical access to the hardware it is crackable by means other than brute force. ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Linux, BSD, and Unix are fundamentally insecure.
    ... what you are saying is that someone with physical access to a machine ... Some PCs can boot off USB drives. ... no you do not need to brute force. ... >> If this is a fear to you, put a boot password on the machine. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • Re: Linux, BSD, and Unix are fundamentally insecure.
    ... what you are saying is that someone with physical access to a machine ... Some PCs can boot off USB drives. ... no you do not need to brute force. ... >> If this is a fear to you, put a boot password on the machine. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc)