Re: Information Harvesting at Retail Stores

From: Michael Pelletier (mjpelletier_at_mjpelletier.com)
Date: 04/20/05

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 21:54:40 -0700

Jim Watt wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 08:50:16 -0400, Edw. Peach <bogus_addie@none.net>
> wrote:
>
>>I often shop at a computer store in my area called MicroCenter. They
>>are really quite good, well stocked, with great prices. I've noticed
>>the cashiers are relentless about getting the email and home addresses
>>from each customer. The first time this happened, I recalled that
>>article I read about information harvesting. For that reason, I
>>refused to give her any of my information. She told me it was
>>necessary in case I had any problems with my purchased item.
>>Funny...I thought that's what a hardcopy receipt was all about. I
>>told her I'd take my chances with just the receipt.
>
> I've visited microcenter in Cambridge MA a few times and its
> an excellent shop.
>
> The request for an address might be legitimate to verify card
> details, OTOH sounds more like harvesting data for marketing
> and resale. My Gibraltar PO box number is all I give and it
> does not attract unsolicited mail.
>
> I used to give 10, Dowing St, London W1 in the UK but did have
> one shop refuse to sell me something as for some reason they
> did not belive I lived there...
> --
> Jim Watt
> http://www.gibnet.com

...ah man don't tell me you are from Boston....that just ruins my day...

:-)
Michael

--
"Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems." -
Linus Torvald

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Information Harvesting at Retail Stores
    ... Jim Watt wrote: ... >>I often shop at a computer store in my area called MicroCenter. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Best Buy Vista Return Policy
    ... specialized store like Microcenter or Fry's I would just order from Dell ... You can even order from Microcenter and Fry's ... and trick you into getting a full price spindle. ... know the system and now it's a big game for me when I shop there. ...
    (misc.consumers)