Re: Man gets nine years for spamming

From: Moe Trin (ibuprofin_at_painkiller.example.tld)
Date: 04/14/05

Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:23:16 -0500

In article <rfgq51thg0te85k92qumq4brv4qe8rjjdn@4ax.com>, Jim Watt wrote:

>Thats my experience too, had some trouble recently sending to AOL
>because they started doing a reverse check on the IP and my local
>ISP had not set up its DNS correctly.

Spend some time reading the news.admin.net-abuse.blocklisting newsgroup.
It's a fairly common problem. Some people want to send mail directly from
a generic address like 69-173-133-233.agstme.adelphia.net, and don't want
to pay for a real domain with proper rDNS. Before we put the Draconian
rules on the firewall and mail servers, nearly 90 percent of the spam we
were getting was from hosts with no rDNS, or compromised home systems
with an address like above.

>Took two weeks to resolve.

Hope you took a horse-whip to 'em. RIR rules are supposed to require that
every host connected to the Internet be resolvable in both directions.
Generating zone files for the DNS should not be a time-consuming effort,
and maintaining them should be transparent. For years. ISC Bind has come
with a dumb script to take the raw data normally seen in a hosts file,
and make the appropriate zonefiles automagically. The other DNS servers
like djbdns or Posadis may use a slightly different format for their zone
files, but that's just simple one-time tweaks to the script.

For that matter, see alt.humor.best-of-usenet, and look for an article that
was posted Wednesday with the subject "[news.admin.net-abuse.email] Re: Need
help with 144.137.117.33".

        Old guy

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Man gets nine years for spamming
    ... >>ISP had not set up its DNS correctly. ... > Generating zone files for the DNS should not be a time-consuming effort, ... > with a dumb script to take the raw data normally seen in a hosts file, ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Beating the spam filter ...
    ... A name that is not a machine's internal identity is more easily moved to refer to another machine, and that capability seems to be driving a lot of the interesting novelty in IT these days. ... You use names to refer to services where as I use names to refer to hosts and then use CNAMEs to refer service names to hosts. ... I think using the RFC-I lists for spam control is properly career-limiting for a mail admin, but people do use them, and the "bogus MX" list is probably the least problematic. ... That name carries a complex meaning to me and about a dozen other people, and it is in DNS from the viewpoint of tens of thousands of other machines. ...
    (comp.mail.sendmail)
  • Re: Cant see out to .co.uk from inside my .local domain (forward l
    ... and you do need to find out where the problem is in your DNS. ... just add another entry in your hosts file referencing ... network only from the server which I changed the hosts file for. ... us to resolve the issue with DNS. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Solaris NIS server and Linux NIS client : problems
    ... Changed nsswitch.conf for hosts values. ... hosts: nis dns files ... Sep 2 09:59:57 spock ypbind: bound to NIS server odin. ... Can't get map list for domain. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Solaris NIS server and Linux NIS client : problems
    ... Changed nsswitch.conf for hosts values. ... hosts: nis dns files ... Sep 2 09:59:57 spock ypbind: bound to NIS server odin. ... Can't get map list for domain. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)