Re: Man gets nine years for spamming

From: Moe Trin (ibuprofin_at_painkiller.example.tld)
Date: 04/14/05

Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:23:16 -0500

In article <>, Jim Watt wrote:

>Thats my experience too, had some trouble recently sending to AOL
>because they started doing a reverse check on the IP and my local
>ISP had not set up its DNS correctly.

Spend some time reading the newsgroup.
It's a fairly common problem. Some people want to send mail directly from
a generic address like, and don't want
to pay for a real domain with proper rDNS. Before we put the Draconian
rules on the firewall and mail servers, nearly 90 percent of the spam we
were getting was from hosts with no rDNS, or compromised home systems
with an address like above.

>Took two weeks to resolve.

Hope you took a horse-whip to 'em. RIR rules are supposed to require that
every host connected to the Internet be resolvable in both directions.
Generating zone files for the DNS should not be a time-consuming effort,
and maintaining them should be transparent. For years. ISC Bind has come
with a dumb script to take the raw data normally seen in a hosts file,
and make the appropriate zonefiles automagically. The other DNS servers
like djbdns or Posadis may use a slightly different format for their zone
files, but that's just simple one-time tweaks to the script.

For that matter, see, and look for an article that
was posted Wednesday with the subject "[] Re: Need
help with".

        Old guy