Re: Linux or OSX?

From: Roger Merriman (NEWS_at_wodger.demon.co.uk)
Date: 04/12/05

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 10:54:50 +0100

McDLT <sam@stinky.com> wrote:

> "Ditoa" <ditoa@example.com> wrote in message
> > On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 18:36:28 GMT, "McDLT" <no@no.no> wrote:
> >
> > >Just a computer for the home. I want something I can turn on, do any
> > >kind of banking or credit card ordering online, and then turn off.
> > >Basically just something safer then my windows machines.
> >
> > Keep your windows system and just install Firefox. Chances are you
> > will use Firefox on any other platform anyway and they are the same
> > program.
> >
> > Also, and no offence is meant by this, but asking such a question
> > leads me to believe you may be a "n00b" (again no offence is meant)
> > which could make a Linux system less secure for you to use as you may
> > not have adaquate knowledge to secure it. If you are a confident user
> > of Linux, etc. then you might as well make the switch, if not just
> > install Firefox, keep Windows and any AV/FW/SpyWare software up to
> > date, etc. and you should be fine.
> >
> > The media make out that just by using Windows you will have all your
> > credit card orders intercepted but it isn't really true. Why would
> > someone go to all that work to "hack" your system when they can hack
> > the Banks/Online Stores database and get several million peoples
> > credit card details? Simple answer is they wouldn't. Most "hacked"
> > Windows systems are used for is sending SPAM.
> >
> > If you don't agree with me thats fine, but please don't flame me for
> > having an opinion :)
>
> Well I'm not a noob to computers. I am a software developer and built the
> computer I'm typing on right now. I use firefox on windows but you are
> fooling yourself if you think that will stop virus's. I'm also not a noob
> to computer fraud as I had over $20,000 stolen from my Ameritrade account
> because a trojan keylogger got on my system at work. We had the corporate
> edition of norton doing daily updates but it didnt matter, it found the
> trojan a month too late. It didn't help that Ameritrade is completely
> incompetent at verifying fund transfers. I highly recommend NOT using them
> BTW.
>
> I admit I am a noob to installing linux but it is certainly not beyond my
> capabilities. I am leaning towards a Mac because it would be much easier
> to get set up. But if the virus makers are gunning for OSX now I'd rather
> go for a linux solution. I'm just trying to minimize the risk as much as
> possible.

neither OSX/linux seem to be targeted for the time being, windows seems
to be a much more attractive and lutrive target for the time being any
way.

your a devloper right? well then you'd need to check there are tools on
the mac or linux that you get on with etc.

there is not the small consideration that mac OSX requires a mac to run
so thats a extra cost.

liunx isn't a operating system as such more a collection of ditros,
(being padantic linux refures to only the kernal) which are targeted a
differant areas, such as webserver etc so you'd have to reasurch that,
though linux is very configurble so should beable to config most into
what you want.

roger

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Initial experiences moving to Mac
    ... 2Ghz Intel Core Duo processor a few weeks ago. ... Mac platform is to replace both my Linux boxes ... and my Windows boxes (for music and occasionally other stuff Linux ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Just plain fucked...
    ... DeskJet F2100 (Windows, Mac OS X) ... DeskJet F2400 (Windows, Mac OS X, Linux) ... ScanJet 2100c ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: The Palladium (NGSCB) rollout has begun!!!
    ... >>willing to make the phones with Windows CE. ... Can you imagine a WindowsCE based cellphone? ... In most ways Linux ... Look at Mac Office and IE. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: What do you demand of your computer
    ... I'm still looking for a decent keyboard for the Mac. ... Windows solitaire shipped, what, 15 years ago? ... Firefox on Mac and Windows. ... Parallels is simply the best virtualization software on the ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Hacked again
    ... ruled out a Mac, but want to know if I'm overlooking something. ... many Windows games do not have Mac or Linux ports. ...
    (alt.games.warcraft)