Re: Linux or OSX?

From: Ashley Pride (ashleypride_at_gmail.com)
Date: 04/12/05

    Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 10:36:58 +0100

    McDLT wrote:

    > Well I'm not a noob to computers. I am a software developer and built the computer I'm
    > typing on right now. I use firefox on windows but you are fooling yourself if you think
    > that will stop virus's. I'm also not a noob to computer fraud as I had over $20,000 stolen
    > from my Ameritrade account because a trojan keylogger got on my system at work.

    Out of interest how did the trojan get onto the system?

    > I admit I am a noob to installing linux but it is certainly not beyond my capabilities. I
    > am leaning towards a Mac because it would be much easier to get set up. But if the virus
    > makers are gunning for OSX now I'd rather go for a linux solution. I'm just trying to
    > minimize the risk as much as possible.

    The security of either is dependent on how secure you make it and how
    often you patch etc. ie. the security of either Linux vs Macs is a mute
    point. Go for whicever you prefer. (i'm guessing a mac)

    Ash.

    • >>> MAC SECURITY <<<
      ... mac home security ... free security software for mac ... internet security for mac ...
      (rec.equestrian)
    • Re: the exploit that wasnt
      ... The other Mac Book Pro? ... brought Microsoft into a security discussion about Mac OS X. ... The number of security patches, ... if you were to scan random machines on the internet for a week, ...
      (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
    • Re: 13 MASSIVE holes found in Safari...
      ... And yet Apple releases monthly security updates. ... But most malware use the normal http port, ... that it's OK because he's on a Mac and Macs are 100% safe). ...
      (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
    • Re: The Myth of the secure Mac
      ... >> yes, it's in Tiger, perhaps you didn't read the Security Brief as you ... the real reason is they can't break a mac. ... Plug your Mac into Linux box acting as DHCP server ...
      (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
    • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Anti-MS drivel
      ... News ... Apple released Security Update 2003-12-19 described to offer numerious ... Apple released 10.3.2 accessable via the software update pane in Mac OS X. ...
      (Full-Disclosure)